Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Elyos
Default Are you required to gather your own mats for a decent profit?

I can grind 10,000,000 mobs, I can go back and forth doing 500,000 workorders but no matter how much I try it's impossible for me to level up aethertapping without logging out after a few minutes. Is it possible to make a decent profit with alchemy without needing to gather your own mats?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Elyos
Default Re: Are you required to gather your own mats for a decent profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twease - Vaizel View Post
I can grind 10,000,000 mobs, I can go back and forth doing 500,000 workorders but no matter how much I try it's impossible for me to level up aethertapping without logging out after a few minutes. Is it possible to make a decent profit with alchemy without needing to gather your own mats?
With Aethertapping, you really need to look at the ones you are digging and ensure it is the highest possible number you can dig.

My Aethertapping and Essencetapping is both closing in on 199, and it is tedious, so I use times I am bored to work on it. However, I am seeing more and more digging the Aether, so I decided to get back on this and continue to raise my skill level with it.

Use aiondatabase.com and look for the mines and keep moving around if you need to. I try to hit the areas with the most amount of mines avoiding PvP zones so I can focus on what I am doing.
山 Steady as the mountain
♀ AION Member since 09/22/09 - Queens of Caffeine
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Asmodians

Are you required to gather your own mats for a decent profit?

Yes, the same goes for every craft, the more money you spend buying the mats you need to make the final product, the less profit you make.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Elyos

Agree with Tachi.........I am I think around 350 aethertapping and my GAWD is it slow going sometimes, haha. But if you are gathering your own aether to make scrolls with or to morph with? HUGE increase in overall profit I still buy aether, but I have the luxury of watching broker and waiting till to price falls to what I think is decent
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Elyos

Lets see here... maybe you have seen this before, maybe you haven't.

Example:
Aether (A) : sells for 1 kinah
Morph to an item (M) using Aether (A) : sells for 2 kinah
Use morphed item (M) to craft consumable (C): sells for 3 kinah

So if you gathered your own aether, morphed, and crafted (AMC): Profit 3 kinah.
If you bought the aether, but morphed, and crafted (MC): Profit 2 kinah (3-1 = 2)
If you bought morphed item, and crafted(C): Profit 1 kinah (3-2 = 1)

So it seems simple enough. To make the most profit means to gather aether, morph, and craft. Or is it...

We need to factor in time invested.
for Example:
Aether (A) : takes 1 second
Morph (M) : takes 1 second
Craft (C) : takes 1 second

Earlier we said that (AMC) makes a profit of 3 kinah... but that means we spend 3 seconds to make 3 kinah. In other words, 1 kinah per second.

Also we said earlier that (MC) makes 2 kinah profit, but in 2 seconds. Or 1 kinah per 1 second (2/2 = 1).

Also we said earlier that (C) makes 1 kinah profit in 1 second. Or 1 kinah per second.

So ask yourself.. are you really making more profit by doing everything? Is it more profitable to sell the aether only? maybe grinding 10,000 mobs may take longer but at least it's not as boring...

There are many more factors but making money boils down to time invested VS. return.
How much is your time worth?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotgirl - Tiamat View Post
How much is your time worth?
Or to rephrase, time = money.

This is really the answer to your question. Most people think that gathering your own mats is basically getting them free (as opposed to buying them from broker). This may be true in the fact that you're not actually losing money, but the thing is, you will be losing assets during the craft. And assets = money. You don't lose the money you had at the start, but you lost the assets you gained from the time you spent getting them (similar to how someone works and spends their money. You don't work for free, you get paid, similar to how you don't gather for free, you get mats for it. If you lose those mats via craft, its like you spent your money you earned).

The answer to your question isn't a straight up yes. Its actually quite complex. Depending on your lvl, the sources of kinah at your disposal, and the value of the items you're gathering, you could go from major profit to unintended loss.

Here's the fact: You will NOT lose kinah if you spend time gathering and you WILL lose kinah if you buy from broker. HOWEVER, the time you spent gathering is time lost for other sources of income. For example, if you could net 1mill from a solo instance, and the value of the items you're gathered (assuming it took as long to gather as it does to solo the instance) is less than 1mill (for example, you gained 300k's worth of gathering in that time), then it is in fact, a loss. Not a loss in kinah, but a loss in earning. If you had soloed that instance and gotten the 1mill, you could've bought the mats for 300k and would've netted 700k extra kinah.

Of course, if the best source of kinah is gathering, then it is definitely more profitable.

The above isn't complete since there are a lot of factors that weren't addressed. For example, time you spend gathering could be much easier than soloing instance. For this, you put in less effort and could enjoy something else like watching a movie. This doesn't change the fact that soloing instance is better profit, it just makes it more appealing to gather. Another example is lvling your gathering skill from gathering mats as opposed to soloing. This has potency to get you to a point where gathering would be your most profitable source of income.

Last mashed by Rece - Siel; 05-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Elyos

soloing a instance is not better profit my alchemy is 471/499 and my aether tapping is 467/499 and it takes me about 30 minuts to gather about 500 magical aether to craft say 800 potions and welli wont tell you guys what potion i make my profit on for obviouse reason but i do use my morphing to craft my mats with my aether i make if i sell my potiopns in stacks of 50 i make about 3.4mill when all my potions selli do manage to sell all my potions twice a day i net 6.8 mill
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Elyos

Like most people said, if your spending to make your consumable then yes you will be making less money than what you could have, if you gathered them yourself. Idk what part of aethertapping you don't like, the leveling, the whole concept of it, but tbh leveling from 1 to 300 i got in like 1 day. Very easy, boring and tedious though for sure.
Also, once you've got it 350+, its just money rolling in like crazy.

Last mashed by Xypherous - Tiamat; 07-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Elyos

Funny, I find aethertapping to be most enjoyable...especially in areas with guards or floating blobs...yes I'm weird...

Alchemy isn't very profitable if you only buy your mats, I suggest upping your aethertapping and hoarding morph designs whenever you get the chance.

Trust me, once you start crafting your own flight serums and you have gear/accessories with flight time, aethertapping is much more bearable.

Heck I find it relaxing and a good stress relief but...again...that's just me being weird...

Asmo: Fainch ~65~ chanter
Elyos: Keltas ~62~ sin, Wasiolka, ~65~ gunner
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Elyos

aethertapping isnt enjoyable unless you have the better wings and close to 4min flight time with plenty of flight pots to burn