Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Asmodians
Default How does roleplaying even work?

Hey guys, so I know lots of people like to roleplay on aion (and mmos in general). I've always been into reading lore but roleplaying's not really my thing, yet I've always been curious as to how it works. Idk why but its been gnawing at me. My friend said roleplayers basically act out scenes through dialogue and emotes, but what happens if you're in the abyss having some emotional loveydovey moment or something and a gang of the opposite faction swoops along and kills everyone? What if your char is acting all macho in the midst of a scene where he saves a chick from a roaring elite mob, and he gets beaten to a pulp by said mob? Do people just go with the flow? (I dont think I'd be able to take it seriously if something like that happened...)

Last edited by Ronove - Tiamat; 04-14-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Asmodians
Default Re: How does roleplaying even work?

Good roleplayers are able to roleplay and change it up on the fly.
In your two examples....two people are having some emotional loving moments and a gang of the opposite faction comes along and zergs ya, then you can always roleplay either a revenge scenario or something about 'glad we're immortal for we can share our love for eternity no matter what' type of thing.
Completely untrue but at least its romantic-ish, I guess.

If the macho guy dies to an elite mob, he can either BS it and claim he let his guard down, or call the mob a worthy opponent and vow revenge.

Good roleplayers avoid those scenarios and keep it simple.
Lets say my class really hated a certain other class. I'd roleplay just how much I hated them, possibly using lore to justify my position. If I really got into it, we'd duel each other to see which class is the 'better' one.

But yeah, this community isn't heavy on RP, might wanna go ask the WoW folk or do an internet search.

Aion Technical Issues Fixes:
http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showpost.php?p=1365422&postcount=1
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Elyos

Basically you're acting out your character....but often spontaniously. I often just describe RPing as acting...which it is. If you're RPing with some friends on a hunt in the Abyss and you're a "Macho" leader type and a Mob of Asmodians comes along and wipes you well hell...thats major RPing fuel :) You have even more reason to act out that you hate Asmodians. Also most good RPing is dictated by the other RPers you're with. The RPing Legion I belong to has a great time RPing on the fly...when we group...and by far most of the time its very easy going and fun. I get soooo bored with hearing people babble about the technical aspects of the game..gear..and loot. Or hearing people ramble about their "Real World" issues. For me putting myself into the head of a winged Battle maiden if faaarrr...more interesting. If you'd ever like to witness the ever so mysterious "Roleplaying" feel free to look me up sometime and you can tag along.
Daphne
Old 04-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Elyos

Ohh...and this game has a LOT of very good RPing Legions. You're just on the wrong server. Most are on Israphel :)
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Asmodians

Ah I see...hmm so I guess it really is kinda like acting. So would you just roleplay while doing normal stuff like quests? come to think of it I can actually see how that would make it more fun for people...just seeing a quest as "kill x mobs" is probably boring in comparison to being in an actual scenario
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Asmodians

I'd like to point out that I haven't met a single RPer that is in character 100% of the time. A theme park style MMO like Aion simply isn't friendly to an "always in character" approach. To that end there are times that I am in character and actively role playing and times that I am not in character and simply playing the game.

I also want to add that I don't really consider roleplaying to be acting, for me it's more like improv storytelling where you only decide the actions of one character while working with others to build a narrative. Acting is a very in the moment activity that requires the dedication of your entire person, from your voice to your poise and unconscious gestures. With acting you are not afforded the same barrier between yourself and the other participants that you get with online roleplaying, comparatively there is a near limitless time given to decide what you are going to say and exactly how you are going to say it, acting isn't nearly so forgiving.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Asmodians

To answer the question about the Abyss wipe and stuff, most of the time you'd RP in areas where you won't get ganked unless you're RPing a pvp hunt or something (but personally, I can't focus on serious PvP and RP at the same time. Both require an entirely different mindset for me). I haven't gone and RPed in areas with hostile mobs, but some of my friends have and they told me they simply ignore the fact that they're slaughtering everything left and right.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Elyos

Good question!

In my RP legion, we do pvp and rp quite a bit, as our legion is more pvp focused than most roleplaying legions.

If I'm in the Abyss ganking some poor Asmodian (which I did especially when I was a baby sin), or rifting, or at a shard war, or stalking folks in Gelk to do my pvp daily, I might announce over our gems (our in character communications device that allows characters to talk to each other over vast distances) that I'm about to "liquidate some unlucky Asmodian" or that "I've just found trouble" or something similar and In characterly turn off my device and take care of business. After the deed is done, I might announce either my total victory or my utter defeat, as the situation calls for. Good judgment is really important in RP, and role playing successfully is much harder than it looks. And Role players are quick to let you know if your rp skills suck lol!

If I am in a RP group someplace and asmodian zeeergs show up, we simply transition from serious talk about whatever topic to a pvp scenario by simply saying "Asmodians" or "there's a bunch of them up ahead" or something like that and again, get to work.

Fort sieges? Same deal. Tons of fun rping during an epic siege! I don't get how so many people take pvp so very seriously, and don't have fun with it like roleplayers do! Oh well...

Also, to piggyback on an important point that others have made... there is an appropriate time and place for all things, including RP. If I'm running an instance or doing dredge with a group of non role players, of course I am not going to try to run it in character. That is a waste of my time, and it would quickly make the other peeps wonder if I had lost my mind, or make them uncomfortable at the very least!

My non roleplayer friends have asked questions about RP and I answer them, but I don't mention it unless they ask me specifically. I'm not in the business of trying to force my play style on others, and I think both camps, rpers and non, should remember that respect is a two way street.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Chinaza - Israphel; 04-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Elyos

Having done quite a bit of acting in RL I'm still of the opinion that RPing is very much like acting.
Also...there are different levels of RPing...if an "RPer" ever criticizes anothers RPing it really makes me angry...who are they to judge if it's correct???
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Elyos

EDIT: Lidija here, totally forgot I was logged into this account.

I've been on stage many times myself and there's a key difference to the experience that separates acting from online roleplaying for me. After a few minutes on the stage you get the feeling of slipping into another identity, it really ends up feeling like the line between you as the actor and the character you are playing is blurred. Maybe because in acting actors are often cast to fit the role they are playing, a young man will play a young man for example, and an older woman will be cast to play an older woman, a character at the peak of physical fitness will be played by an actor who is also very physically fit. Because of the closeness of the character to the actor it is very easy to merge the "I" of the actor and "I" of the character, even more so on stage when these distinctions become blurred.

On the other hand, when roleplaying online in Aion for example, I often play characters that are very different from who I am in real life, and many others do the same. At no point do I ever feel like the line between my character and I are blurred and though there are emotional attachments it's very rarely been as intense a connection as stage acting can produce. Perhaps there are people who sit behind their keyboard and firmly get into the mindset of blurring the line between their character and themselves, but I've never felt the need to do this myself. Online roleplaying has a lot more in common with being an author who develops strong writing skills and character development than being an actor who focuses on losing their identity in a character. It's a lot more creative because of that, and the reason that I lost interest in acting because the primary goal of actors is portrayal, they rarely create, and I'm more interested in creation than portrayal.

Last edited by Mirae - Siel; 04-16-2012 at 06:09 AM.