Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Where does the line get crossed for pay to win?

Just heard they are releasing some kind of supplement stone in store soon that could make socketing grief a past. Once that drops, we can see how the game has changed. But quite honestly I have seen plenty of people with fully slotted so I don't know. We can wait and see.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Asmodians

Steps to grief non-asian players and profit at their expense
1 - Create RNG-based system with less than 5% success rate on improvement plus heavy penalty for failure.
2 - Advertise said system as a 'necessary in-game money sink'
3 - Fail to listen to any players that don't speak Korean
4 - Release items on the cash shop to 'fix' this blatant game-mechanic failure
5 - ???????
6 - PROFIT!!!

When the devs implemented this Korean-mentality RNG into every aspect of the game, yet failed to account for western tastes being different, that was a failure. It resulted in the wholesale exodus of over half the initial playerbase. Servers were ghost towns and server merges only made things much worse.

Even now in F2P we only have a handful of servers. Think about that. FREE TO PLAY, no barrier to entry, yet only 5 or so servers. I don't believe each server can support more than (a generous estimate) of about 10,000 players. So...at peak capacity they're serving 50K players? Where do their 'X millions return to Aion!' numbers come from then?

This game is still dying because while a lot has been added and some things have changed for the better, other things remain frustrating for well over 2 years.

When NcSoft Korean devs fail to listen to the western audience, they'll lose em. Maybe they don't care, but if they don't care they shouldn't bother even translating the game, just shut it down everywhere outside of Korea. >_>

When Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 come out, the unworthy MMOs will see a huge decrease in numbers. I hope Aion is one of the ones that crashes and nyerking burns along with the rest of the nyerkty Korean-developed RNG-grinder MMOs.

To think people used to pay monthly for this nyerk...LOL.

EDIT: nyerk TERA, I knew from the first time I saw the Korean text that it was gonna be a nyerk grindfest. Combat aside, it will crash and burn then possibly resurrect as a 'free to pay' MMO. Give it a few months.

Aion Technical Issues Fixes:
http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showpost.php?p=1365422&postcount=1

Last edited by Traxion - Tiamat; 05-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Elyos

Honestly, I get pissed when I see old veteran perks I earned get slapped on the cash shop... You know, the perks that were removed because they were 'outdated'?

Oh, and for items they don't repost (Lets look at Aqua Griffo, the 1 year reward), they instead post a sidegrade counterpart (I'm looking at you, Mumu) that requires to be bought for EVERY character you own rather than the old "Once per character".

And they are already starting to cross that line with today's shop update, but not enough to where I'd finally quit. Almost all the items I can get by without ever buying and it not having an effect on my game. And yes, while the socketing supplements was part of the 2 year vet reward IIRC, I can see why that they'd place that in the shop... I just wish I was around to abuse character recycling and upgrading my armor ;p
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Asmodians

Be thankful this isn't a Gachapon system.

If you want game breaking moneysinks, Cosmic Break is there.

The line to draw is simple. The benefits from paying money should not give the average player a godly character. Playing the game and playing it well should get the best gear for you.

It crosses the line when rich kids can suddenly pay money to instantly get gear that a non-paying player can't get equal or better of unless said gear is completely Convenience (inventory upgrades and others)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerd - Kahrun View Post
Steps to grief non-asian players and profit at their expense
1 - Create RNG-based system with less than 5% success rate on improvement plus heavy penalty for failure.
2 - Advertise said system as a 'necessary in-game money sink'
3 - Fail to listen to any players that don't speak Korean
4 - Release items on the cash shop to 'fix' this blatant game-mechanic failure
5 - ???????
6 - PROFIT!!!

When the devs implemented this Korean-mentality RNG into every aspect of the game, yet failed to account for western tastes being different, that was a failure. It resulted in the wholesale exodus of over half the initial playerbase. Servers were ghost towns and server merges only made things much worse.

Even now in F2P we only have a handful of servers. Think about that. FREE TO PLAY, no barrier to entry, yet only 5 or so servers. I don't believe each server can support more than (a generous estimate) of about 10,000 players. So...at peak capacity they're serving 50K players? Where do their 'X millions return to Aion!' numbers come from then?

This game is still dying because while a lot has been added and some things have changed for the better, other things remain frustrating for well over 2 years.

When NcSoft Korean devs fail to listen to the western audience, they'll lose em. Maybe they don't care, but if they don't care they shouldn't bother even translating the game, just shut it down everywhere outside of Korea. >_>

When Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 come out, the unworthy MMOs will see a huge decrease in numbers. I hope Aion is one of the ones that crashes and nyerking burns along with the rest of the nyerkty Korean-developed RNG-grinder MMOs.

To think people used to pay monthly for this nyerk...LOL.

EDIT: nyerk TERA, I knew from the first time I saw the Korean text that it was gonna be a nyerk grindfest. Combat aside, it will crash and burn then possibly resurrect as a 'free to pay' MMO. Give it a few months.
Lmao you talk about grindfest and yet you directly reference Diablo 3.
Which is a grindfest.
Talk about hypocrisy! XD
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosse - Siel View Post
Lmao you talk about grindfest and yet you directly reference Diablo 3.
Which is a grindfest.
Talk about hypocrisy! XD
You obviously never played Diablo II at launch then a couple years after.

It was a grindfest too at first because nobody knew how to work the game.

Then the second people started figuring out how to work Cow levels then LoD areas to their advantage, well, you could get to 70ish in a day with little effort- lets put it that way.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Asmodians

u got to be a retard to compare a non mmo like diablo which is a rpg random dungon/hack/slash game (not a grind fest ur a idiot) vs a real full fledge mmo type game.......u are a idiot shut up.

btw Go play wow u morons if u want a American made ez mode dumb down mmo.....Grinds on Korean/Chinese games are fun for the people who play them.

Not our fault u free loaders don't want to pay a sub for a American non grind fest game.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Elyos

dont like aion????
GTFO!!!
nuff said
Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskull - Israphel View Post
I can understand potions not being as that actually effects the economy in the long run. Buy em from the store and alchemy goes out the window really, For heal and mana pots and flight pots. the time invested in Alchemy is a time synch as it is. Either you gather the items yourself to make most of the items and have to level up to 50 to actually make the items or wait till others farm the items nad buy em to make what you need.

AP/medals being available might make the availability more feasable to obtain then in game, paying outrageous prices for a gold/silver medals due to politics on server(s). If your not in the "in crowd" you have to either buy or hope that yoru faction particpates in Seiges. That doesn't happen to much nowadays on 3 out of the 4 servers. With the exception of Gelk and Ingg. Not that they happen with good number on some of the servers.

AP items, are harder to come by for the casual player who can't make the above seige times, or groups to run instances in the forts to get the Ap items. Have to rely on PvP to obtain AP and thats not as easy either to find in the lower levels. Dredge 3 times a day. Personally i can make 1-2 a day if im luck due to work.

My perspective Ap items would help me and prolly many others to gain the gear and such that is much needed to be compete on a somewhat equal basis.

Master in every tradeskills is needed to make Seige weapons of advanced quality. Thats a whole different Topic tho.
I think Medals should absolutely not be sold. Think of what that would do to fort turn outs?

Formerly Aftershock
***Maple Syrup & Heavy Metal***
Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Elyos

Anything that makes it EASIER or FASTER to get things, Im ok with. Increased AP rate still requires grinding in the abyss or killing things in ing, so there's still a requirement of work and effort for the rewards.

Just buying things straight out, Im more against. Im already quite pissed off the Atlas wings are identical to my preorder collectors edition wings.