Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Asmodians
Default Good Video Card for High Quality Engine?

Hello!

Just curious, since I recently upgraded the video card in my tower, if it is good enough to play Aion in high quality.

AMD Phenom II X4 820 ~2.8 GHz
6 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6750 Core Edition 1 GB VRAM

I have actually tried playing in high quality, but everything is jerky and a bit laggy. I have heard of others with superior video cards having this same problem. Is this due to my video card or something software related?

Thanks in advance! :)
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Asmodians
Default Re: Good Video Card for High Quality Engine?

It should handle the HQ engine fine. Are you using the 64 bit Aion or the 32 bit Aion? I would recommend the 64 bit Aion for that build, it'll help.

To use the 64 bit client, open up your NC Launcher. Right click Aion. Properties. Then in the "extra Comman Line Parameters (Advanced)" type in -64. Click OK and viola, 64 bit Aion <3
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifish - Siel View Post
It should handle the HQ engine fine. Are you using the 64 bit Aion or the 32 bit Aion? I would recommend the 64 bit Aion for that build, it'll help.

To use the 64 bit client, open up your NC Launcher. Right click Aion. Properties. Then in the "extra Comman Line Parameters (Advanced)" type in -64. Click OK and viola, 64 bit Aion <3
The 6750 is a bit lacking as far as GPU power goes. He should be able to run the high quality engine, but will have to turn shadows, water effects, and lilkely lighting effects down, because the GPU is fairly weak.

OP, as far as a good GPU for the HQ engine, a GTX 570 and 580, or a 560Ti with 2GB vram seem to have no issues running it well. The 6950 runs it good, and so does the 6870, while the 6850 starts to struggle a bit. If your looking to upgrade, I would suggest you get a 6950, or a 560Ti 2GB. You could also wait for the rest of the Nvidia 600 series, and the AMD 7000 series to come out, and go from there.
AMD Phenom2 945 C3 @ 3.4ghz, Zalman CNPS 9500A, 92MM all copper CPU cooler, Asus M4N98TD EVO AMD mobo, 8GB DDR3 1600, 2x Nvidia GTX 460 1GB (SLI enabled), 2x500GB WD 7200RPM HDDs, BFGtech EX series 1000w modular PSU, All stuffed into an Antec300 illusion with 5 fans, and shown on a 21.5in 1920x1080 2MS GtG Acer monitor, and used with a Lycosa and an MX518. My house is also fed with a charter ultra100 connection. Am I crazy?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbysumo - Israphel View Post
The 6750 is a bit lacking as far as GPU power goes. He should be able to run the high quality engine, but will have to turn shadows, water effects, and lilkely lighting effects down, because the GPU is fairly weak.

OP, as far as a good GPU for the HQ engine, a GTX 570 and 580, or a 560Ti with 2GB vram seem to have no issues running it well. The 6950 runs it good, and so does the 6870, while the 6850 starts to struggle a bit. If your looking to upgrade, I would suggest you get a 6950, or a 560Ti 2GB. You could also wait for the rest of the Nvidia 600 series, and the AMD 7000 series to come out, and go from there.
Er no. A 6750 should have no problems. It's just this game is terribly optimized
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Asmodians

Thanks for all the replies so far!

I am running the 64 bit client, sorry didnt point that out. And I just added this video card into my system, so I will probably stick with this for a while. I can run Skyrim on ultra setting with everything turned up with about 30-40 fps, very playable. I just seem to have jerking and lag problems with Aion. I check the ping every once in a while to make sure it isnt that, and run about 90-120ms pretty much all the time, so it is not that.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Elyos

I have no problem with a 7850, but it's also more than 2x as fast as what you got.
Make sure shadows are on medium, though.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Asmodians

Fael, you might wanna try to download the latest official video drivers for your video card, uninstall the existing drivers you have (completely uninstall) and then use Driver Sweeper to remove the remnants that are left.

Your windows will now be using a really low crappy default resolution (640 x 480 by default) with your built-in VGA graphics on your motherboard. No big, NOW you clean-install your video drivers, reboot, configure, reboot again, and you're all set.

You might wanna check your power supply versus your video card and make sure its up to snuff. There's actually a difference in good quality PS versus a bad cheap Chinese-made piece of nyerk.

With your existing setup, you should be able to run the HQ engine, but try doing it without shadows or fancy lighting then gradually tune it up and test how it runs.

The CryEngine is the worst unoptimized piece of nyerk engine ever made for games. Why people bother to use it just for pretty graphics (when Unreal Engine does it better, cheaper, and is easier to program with) is something that is one of those great mysteries of life. It makes tons of unnecessary 'draw' calls and sucks up hardware like nobody's business.

Aion Technical Issues Fixes:
http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showpost.php?p=1365422&postcount=1