Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Asmodians
Default Re: Is mastering a craft worth it?

I master Armorsmithing in 2 weeks for my Siel's set. Plus ill be making skins for my PvP gear that is concreted rare now. My answer would be yes, but make sure you master something that you'll enjoy in the long run.

Just a game there's no reason to think otherwise.
Facebook.com/KratikosTemplar
My PC build http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/tgunsg35/slideshow/PC%20build
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Asmodians

My answer is, unfortunatly, no. I'm expert in 2 crafts, and the only reason that is so, is because of how clueless of the reality of aion crafting I was.

Like most new players, or newly returned players. I figured after 2+ years the game been out, the crafting system would have improved immensly since it's release. It didn't, and im not just saying that to sound negative, here's my personal experience from crafting.

Spent countless hours getting expert in alchemy, it was utterly boring, having to repeat the same work orders over and over again, tab'ing out to watch youtube videos and checking back every 5mins to do another work order. Fun factor=0. But i kept going, i wanted to complete the Atlas and receive that 'crafted weapon box' and having the option to craft my own crit scrolls and potions is a nice thing, provided the mats werent more expensive than simply buying off the potions like i used to do. I innocently thought that the weapon box would provide an untradable fabled crafted weapon, like say a level 40 durable noble salix bow. Oh hell no... i got some crappy GREEN shield, lol yay? what?

Anyways... after this huge letdown and time spent, I decided that i was going to start handicrafting and craft my own Salix bow. Few days later, after more work orders and lots of youtube videos (note : during all that time, im not actually playing the game, but it's going to be worth it in the end, ill be able to craft a nice bow right? one slightly better than the coin bows everyone has access to for a few kinahs) I finally made expert level in handicraft, skill 420. I should be ready to start attempting to craft the bow im after.

That is when i realized how futile all my efforts had been. I check the mats required to craft the Durable Salix Bow (WHITE bow)

-- 170 Salix logs - 6 fine weapon flux - 26 aether gem

Okay, price range will vary from server to server, but on mine, Salix logs are roughly 5k to 8k each, Fine weapon flux vary from day to day from 18k to 30k each, and Aether Gem are about 5k each as well. Assuming a lucky day and all the mats are at their lowest prices, each attempt would cost 1,088,000 Kinahs.

I was ready to spend quite a bit, so at this point I went with it, did 3 attempts before the Broker ran out of mats. I bought almost all the Flux and the few left were so overpriced it wasnt even worth thinking about. (ie 1m+ for 1 fine flux.) So even if i had unlimited funds, i could not even attempt more than 3 of the very basic bow needed to start.

Those 3 attempts didnt 'proc', so in order to get a single Noble version of it, i had to purchase one of the Fine recipes for roughly 516k+additional mats for a total of over 1million kinah. So I spent over 4 million kinahs for a green bow that i cant even do anything with, due to the lack of mats to continue. It's now sitting in my bank until i manage to get more mats to progress. Obviously, I could go out and gather the mats myself, but I can't even begin to imagine how many Salix logs and Aether gem i would need in total, its easily in the triple digits. And there is no sure way to farm for Fine weapon fluxes, after doing multiple quests and killing hundreds of mobs, i have yet to see 1 drop and I'm going to need hundreds of em, not to mention the worthy flux and expert flux that comes later.

In closure, my overall opinion of crafting in aion is very negative, it's a very flawed system. One would expect that after spending so many hours skilling up they would see a reward at the end of the road, but there is none, all that's left is a feeling of dissapointment. I think they really need to reduce the material needed to craft things, especially the lower level/quality items, as it is, it simply is a waste of time and efforts, not only is it not fun, but the work isnt even rewarded in the end.

Or maybe im just doing it wrong, but i haven't the slightest idea of what that would be. Anyways, good luck if you decide to craft, hopefully you will have a more positive experience with it than i did.

Last edited by Desnax - Siel; 12-06-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Elyos
Question Re: Is mastering a craft worth it?

Mastering cooking was the only thing that was worth it for me. Although I mastered Alchemy on my Chanter but that was just for the skin. It's easy with most professions now anyways because of the test recipes.

Now cooking, while it paid for itself pretty quickly, did cost over 40M to master. I don't regret it though!

Last edited by Puffs - Israphel; 12-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Elyos

Yes mastering crating is now worth it again cause with 4.0 balic armor and weapon has PVP% on them. That means they are actually a viable choice for true endgame content if one can't get abyss armor. So get cracking.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Asmodians

a master craftsmen can receive daily tiamaranta quests and aquire 3 sharp tokens to buy recipes. Now i have around 55 tokens

second: i have master alchemy and i craft recipes of lvl 480. I get 20k XP + 5k energy of repose, every time. Because of this i leveled my afk cleric from 51 to 53, (about 300k XP gained). Now i am half way to lvl 54.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Asmodians

crafting system is stupid except for making scrolls and pots.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essc - Siel View Post
Yes mastering crating is now worth it again cause with 4.0 balic armor and weapon has PVP% on them. That means they are actually a viable choice for true endgame content if one can't get abyss armor. So get cracking.
Except having to have super amazing luck and get, what 4 or 5 back to back crafting crits to make a weapon.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Elyos

I really don't like the crafting system. You should be able to make a good profit from it.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiseru - Siel View Post
I really don't like the crafting system. You should be able to make a good profit from it.
Having been a master crafter of armour, weaponsmith, handicrafting, alchemy, tailor and cooking, 441 on construction on 7 different toon.... I would say....it WAS worth it, UNTIL recently i think after 3.5, proc rates had got to be at it's worst. Nothing good in proc-ing for me, and i kinda pretty lost all my kinah back trying to craft the lv 60 elite tomb.

Socketing and manastones also fails bad. )

About 800mils kinah spent buying the mats if not more.

I think it'simportant to be able to find time to gather the mats/aethers as broker prices are god mode as always. Which i dint manage to find the time for crafting and yet gather....so....

Anyway, Please feel sad for me. )
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aionationpcb - Tiamat View Post
Having been a master crafter of armour, weaponsmith, handicrafting, alchemy, tailor and cooking, 441 on construction on 7 different toon.... I would say....it WAS worth it, UNTIL recently i think after 3.5, proc rates had got to be at it's worst. Nothing good in proc-ing for me, and i kinda pretty lost all my kinah back trying to craft the lv 60 elite tomb.

Socketing and manastones also fails bad. )

About 800mils kinah spent buying the mats if not more.

I think it'simportant to be able to find time to gather the mats/aethers as broker prices are god mode as always. Which i dint manage to find the time for crafting and yet gather....so....

Anyway, Please feel sad for me. )
I feel sad that you mastered all those crafts, all that time...lord I dont even want to count.

What Desnax said is pretty spot on, a lot of time and kinah and very little reward. You're better off farming kinah (gathering or mob farm) and use the kinah and buy whatever it is you need from a crafter.