Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Greatsword vs Polearm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsukamy - Siel View Post
I don't think you should avoid that quest.

But anyway, the process to get that gear(If nothing has changed since the time i played) is you need to collect the coins(silver gold and platinum) and trade them for rewards in the bases found in the maps. To get pieces of gear you need, some luck is required though. You might get a lot of equal pieces.

What bases? You mean the fortresses in the Abyss?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Asmodians

I played Templar for 6 years before swapping to play Glad; I am so much more familiar with a GS, I don't think the game will be around long enough for me to reach the same level of skill with a PA.

Assassin Guide - http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?p=2012210
4.9 PvP Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdoVS22rPs
Old 04-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soryu - Siel View Post
I played Templar for 6 years before swapping to play Glad; I am so much more familiar with a GS, I don't think the game will be around long enough for me to reach the same level of skill with a PA.

I tried Templar first. Got it level 60 and decided to try Gladiator before I fully invest in the Templar. So glad I did because I like Gladiator much better.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recore - Tiamat View Post
What bases? You mean the fortresses in the Abyss?
Nono, those bases are the small bases in regular maps, such as Beluslan or Heiron. They switch possession between factions, but you can turn them solo. If the captain is not there, you can switch channels to try to find them.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Asmodians

Well, most people say pole over great sword. However I would like to see someone with a openmind and unbiased opinion to do a in depth comparison of the two. On paper, great swords are 16% faster, and only 6% less base damage, and is about 10% more DPS, but that's on paper. I know in real world use its much narrower then that, but I feel if you end up socketing attack/crit, one you can socket a bit more since you dont need as much accuracy, two with the higher attack speed I can see greatsword making better use of the attack manastones.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letmesinforyou - Tiamat View Post
Well, most people say pole over great sword. However I would like to see someone with a openmind and unbiased opinion to do a in depth comparison of the two. On paper, great swords are 16% faster, and only 6% less base damage, and is about 10% more DPS, but that's on paper. I know in real world use its much narrower then that, but I feel if you end up socketing attack/crit, one you can socket a bit more since you dont need as much accuracy, two with the higher attack speed I can see greatsword making better use of the attack manastones.
You are right, but PA has more burst potential than gs, thats why you'll want a PA for pvp, cause you wont be weaving 100% the time, gs is "better" overall in stats but the PA is def better for pvp (it also has a little bit more range (1m) and the passive rng knockdown on hit has more %)
If you want to max out ur dps instead of burst, go for DW.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Elyos

So, what is better for PVE? DW or GS?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netheil - Siel View Post
So, what is better for PVE? DW or GS?
Dual wield is the highest single target DPS you're going to get. Dagger/mace is the generally used setup, unless it's a full DD set, in which case you need to use the sword for the set bonus.

There's 0 reason to get a GS for PVE.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Elyos

Hi,

(I've only read page 1 cuz everyone was saying PA) so I'd like to bring a bit of a more diverse opinion to the board. Imho the weapon of choice depends on what you actually want.

Greatsword has more accuracy and compared to polearm a more "stable" damage output, seeing as the base damage is not as wide ranged. However, polearm, and that's the reason why most gladiators use it, has "much" higher potential damage spikes, on the other hand it also has potentially lower damage output at any given frame of time.

1. So if you want those possible high damage spikes and you fulfill the accuracy rquirements, go for polearm. -> most gladiators go for this in PvP
2. If you care more about getting stable damage outputs without strong bursts, but on the other hand no "weak" periods, go for greatsword. -> almost noone does this
3. If you are in need for very high accuracy, because your opponent has a good block-set, greatsword is usually better, but most players here still use a polearm (I always wondered if that's because they are used to using polearms)
4. For PvE it's best if you got a dualwield set AND a polearm/gs. Use the DW set for most of the attacks and switch to PA if u need AoE's

Hope this helps a bit