Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Asmodians
Default Question about PvP Bolster

Hey all, I have a question about the PvP in this game. I know there is pvp in arenas and tournaments as well as the cross server battles and siege. My question is if PvP gear matters everywhere or just in certain areas.

For example, the last game I played that had PvP in it was Star Wars The Old Republic and the way that it used to work was PvP gear matter in Rank Arenas and Open World PvP.

Other types of PvP such as nonrank arenas and such, everyone would be bolstered. This meant that weather you were lvl 15 fighting against a lvl 60 you would hit the same way as if you were level 60 because everyone would be "bolstered up" at max stats. Of course you lose these stats once you leave the arenas but during the pvp fights, everything was near balanced.

Higher levels of course had access to more skills they unlocked but low level who knew how to outplay his opponent had a fair chance of easily defeating the higher level since they are both bolstered to max stats.

Anyway, I know open world (if there is any) and sieges PvP gear matters. My question is, does PvP gear make a difference when doing Harmony, 3v3, OW, Kamar, Ashuntal etc?

TLTR: Aside from Siege and Tenacity, does PvP gear have a huge advantage to those who have none at all?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Question about PvP Bolster

the closest thing to "bolstering" in this game would be level 75 elemental transformations, since they give you preset stats, but that is meant to give you an advantage, so, not the same. Other than that, there is nothing that equals the level. In Aion, it is mainly about the grind. So, making that grind worth it, means that the perks of having farmed the gear/XP should apply anywhere.

As for PvP vs other players, it plays a big role. Level difference plays a bigger role, but, if you have two equal level players, and one has PvE gear and the other PvP gear, in the majority of cases, the one with PvP gear will win.

Edit:
Oh, there are also Siege Buffs, which are active when a faction doesnt manage to take a fort while the opposing faction does several times. It is meant to greatly boost the underpowered faction to give them a better chance to get the fortress. So, there is some "bolstering" there as well.
Bryos (TM A) - Corteo (KR E) - DarkAzphel (SL E)

Last edited by Bryos -; 06-30-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Asmodians

Thank you very much for your answer. I suppose being farmed is part of the process to getting tokens to buy the pvp gear.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutietoes - View Post
Thank you very much for your answer. I suppose being farmed is part of the process to getting tokens to buy the pvp gear.
Actually it's not quite as gloomy as that, but Aion is not the same as SWTOR.

Having played SWTOR as well, I would agree that Aion's comes closest to the concept of the bolster when it comes to fortress sieges, and even then it applies to a whole faction, not a a limited scale arena fight. so the balancing can't be anywhere as precise. When the buff is high in fact the other side is at a serious disadvantage.

However, if you were a new player with absolutely no PVP gear at all at level 6, you have a number of choices - you could do arenas and get gear even if you afk. As you accumulate pieces you could decide to afk less and have a bit more fun. You still have level 65 gear which would also let you start out (BM and other gear).
Old 07-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Elyos

Higher level players and monsters take less and less damage from all sources as their level goes up further(level 66+).

Level: Damage received
65: 100%
66: 98.50%
67: 97.06%
68: 95.68%
69: 94.31%
70: 93.00%
71: 91.72%
72: 90.47%
73: 89.28%
74: 88.10%
75: 86.94%
76: 85.81%
77: 84.72%
78: 83.66%
79: ?
80: 81.61%

So it's not just gear matters, your level (how many levels above level 65) matters too.
https://github.com/maxperiod/aiongrindmeter2

Last edited by mooMOOMooMoomoo -; 07-03-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Elyos

Is that a flat out reduction regardless of your level, or the perspective from a level 65 player, Momo?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Elyos

Flat out reduction to the percentage, depends on level of the the player/monster that is taking damage.

This means a level 70 player or monster will have incoming damage reduced by 7%. And for level 75 targets, that's around 13.06% damage reduction.

These applies to physical attacks.
For magical spells, these percentage damage reductions to net Magic Boost (after Magic Suppression and after the 3200 net MB cap).

Tested in PvP duels and PvE against monsters.
https://github.com/maxperiod/aiongrindmeter2

Last edited by mooMOOMooMoomoo -; 07-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Asmodians

There's nothing like bolster in Aion, people would have an easier time doing PvP if there was. Being active in Swtor, the bolster over there is bad atm too!!
But being without gear in swtor or having bad gear is almost as awful as it is in Aion at this point, maybe even worse. Gearing is a grinding shltfest!

Last edited by Larxe - Siel; 07-04-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Elyos

Gearing isnt not that bad, Larxe. :P Getting the gear is easy enough, enchanting it is the biggest issue (and it is not compulsory to do it). If anything, the biggest grind is leveling, which is far more relevant.

Unless you were talking about SWTOR, in which case, then, nevermind. :P
Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryos - Siel View Post
Gearing isnt not that bad, Larxe. :P Getting the gear is easy enough, enchanting it is the biggest issue (and it is not compulsory to do it). If anything, the biggest grind is leveling, which is far more relevant.

Unless you were talking about SWTOR, in which case, then, nevermind. :P
How long does it take to get a full PvP set and all the items you need for the average player? And yeah, swtor is horrible!