Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Asmodians
Default Healing a sm's pet?

I was doing ft yesterday with a sm and a few others and he was upset that i was not healing his pet. I did not know that was even a thing but even if i did i was busy healing the temp. Is healing a sm's pet important in group instances?
Old 10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Healing a sm's pet?

Let me start with the bottom line to that question.
No

Some enlightenment on that answer,
SM's are responsible for their pet entirely. SM's have the ability to heal their pet, one pet heal at the cost of some of the SM's HP. However, SM's also have some skills to recover their own HP (Absorb Vitality, Backdraft, Vengeful Backdraft)

SM's have to strategically use the correct pet for specific situations and know how to maintain their pet as well as their own well-being.
When you take on the class of Spirit Master, it's pretty obvious that you have to know how to manage your own pet, as it is a part of your job.

What you could do as a nice thing for an SM is simply buff their pet. If their pet is constantly dying and they have to keep re-summoning new ones all the time, don't even bother buffing it. Clearly they don't know how to manage their pet well enough if it's always dying.
Yes there's times that things happen and it dies, but it's fairly easy to keep your pet alive as an SM.

I would only even consider healing an SM's pet if it's their DP pet (Tempest spirit for Elyos, Magma Spirit for Asmos) They acquire this pet at Lv.50 and it requires 2000 DP for them to summon it. And even then, I would only really heal it if the Magma spirit is Tanking for the party.
When they summon their Magma Spirit, I would highly recommend making sure it's buffed, but beyond that... it's very easy to maintain a Tempest/Magma spirit as the SM alone. They are tanky as all hell, especially Magma spirit.

Bottom line, SM's are responsible for their own pet and have many utility skills to keep their pet from dying.
If SM's are complaining that their pet isn't getting heals, tell them "Did you forget to put Replenish Element on your bar?"
Old 10-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Elyos

Genoa has it right. It is the SMs responsibility to heal their own pet and they have skills to do so.

That being said, I will heal SM pets if I am bored enough and don't feel like dpsing.. but that is rather rare. The bottom line is that it is my choice.

If you decide to heal (or buff) and SM's pet, a handy way to select it is by pressing their f-key twice. So if they are fourth in your left.. hitting f4 brings up the SM. Hit f4 another time and you will get the pet. (So you don't have to click it to select it.)

~happily rolling about in my own badness since 2009~
RIP: Honoria (Kaisinel/Elyos) ; Alysynne (Israphel/Asmo)
"Race balance is something that we take extremely seriously" - NCSoft
Old 10-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Elyos

its not essential to heal the pet but...

most pve is so easy that there's no reason you "can't" heal it. i generally do because when you play cleric its like, wtf else do i have to do ... spam healing wind? read a book?

its really no bigs if the pet dies though, just if u got nuthin better to do, pop a heal on the pet if u see it low. most clerics i know buff the pet when they see it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Asmodians

Thanks guys this helped alot :)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Asmodians

tell the sm "you can heal ur pet by urself"
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 AM
Elyos

nother thing with the SM, depends what pet ther usin, if its a group instance and ya tanks tanking, the SM only really needs the water pet out, if ther usin any of the other pets(barring using the tree pet to tank ads) then the SM needs to change to the water pet, its ranged for a reason, priority heals are on the tank, he goes down then its ouch time
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Asmodians

Low level sm might not realize that their pet doesn't appear in the group window which makes it pretty hard for the cleric to keep track of their health. As such, it's definitely the SM's responsibility to monitor and heal their own pet.

Unless the pet is the group tanks, then i'd also expect the healer to keep it alive.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinalaf - Tiamat View Post
nother thing with the SM, depends what pet ther usin, if its a group instance and ya tanks tanking, the SM only really needs the water pet out, if ther usin any of the other pets(barring using the tree pet to tank ads) then the SM needs to change to the water pet, its ranged for a reason, priority heals are on the tank, he goes down then its ouch time
You shouldnt use water when sm is low level
Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Elyos

I use F2 to F6 to select party members. You can toggle between the SM and his/her pet by pressing the F key that you use to select the SM. It's your choice if you want to heal it tho.