Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Asmodians
Default [Guide] Picking the Perfect Mount For You

Greetings Daevas!

Updated: Thursday August 16th: Some of you will be happy to know that previous limited time store bought mounts now have permanent versions! That includes the all awesome Cirruspeed! As such I have updated the text beneath them

With the introduction of 3.0 came many great things to the game but one of them has been requested by players since they learned how to fly; and that's.. Mounts.

While mounts offer a faster way to get around; whether in the air or on the ground, be prepared to shell out lots of time and/or Kinah to getting the perfect mount that's just for you.

When choosing a mount, based on looks, speed, or personal preference, be sure to keep in mind what you'd be using the mount for. There are several factors that come into play when using a mount:
  1. Covering more space in less time.
  2. Beating the competition to certain spawns.
  3. Getting away from enemies.
  4. Showing off what you got after weeks of grinding.
  5. Or regular gathering and farming.
With these factors in mind; lets get into a bit of FAQ on using a mount and mounted travel.

Factors of Mounting, Dismounting, and getting Kicked Off:

While mounts are a viable way to put on some speed to get away from a disastrous outcome, keep in mind that there is a chance you may get knocked off your mount when receiving an attack. Classes with an absorbing shield like Sorcerers and Spiritmasters can continue to run on their mounts while being hit, however if a DoT is placed on a shielded SM or Sorc, there is a chance you may get knocked off just like everyone else. There are also several effects that will 100% of the time dismount you. Effects like Stun, Paralysis, Fear, Sleep, Stumble, Knockback, and movement speed reducing skills all will knock you off your mount instantly.

When mounting your steed you must right click the icon of the mount itself, or place it on a task bar and click it to begin the mounting process. It takes a few seconds for you to actually mount and then you're ready to go! When mounted there is a way to speed up your mount, called a sprint. By pressing the R button on your keyboard your mount will go into a special focused animation in which moving the camera angle is prohibited. Your mount will sprint forward in a rush of speed but be cautious! It also reduces your flight time! So if you wanted to rush towards a cliff and move into a glide, be aware of how much time your sprint is consuming your flight time! The consumption of flight time is fairly large per second you stay in sprint mode.

As with being unmounted you can glide while on a mount! For some mounts like the Pagati, it's easy to tell when you're in glide mode as the Pagati's wings will spread out. But for mounts with no physical features such as the Cirrus Speed, It's difficult to tell. Though a quick glance at your flight time will tell you if you're in glide or not.

If you're in a flying zone while on a mount; guess what! You can fly! The controls are similar to flying without a mount, the only difference? You move much faster! Every mount while in flying mode has a base 16.0 flying speed cap. Also while in flying mode your flight time is consumed normally as when flying without a mount. As with ground transportation; there is a chance you can get knocked off your mount when receiving damage and/or a DoT. While in flying mode there is no sprint. Pressing R only causes you to rise higher. But you can still press the space bar for a glide and press it again to go back into flying.

While riding a mount you can talk to NPC's, however you cannot use skills, attack, gather from gathering nodes (such as Aethertapping and Essencetapping), or use emotes. There are a few things to note with mounts when you are gathering items or doing quests to kill x amount of mobs or interactive with certain item x. While you are running on your mount an happen upon the mob or gathering node you are required to kill or gather from, you cannot dismount yourself while still running. Instead you must come to a complete stop before you are able to dismount on your own. However if you come to an NPC classed object that you must right click to interact with, you do not need to dismount at all!

Keep in mind while travelling on your trusty steed that entering certain areas will force you to dismount and you will not be able to mount again until you leave that area. Any instance you enter will force you to dismount and will also not allow mounting once inside.

With that little mount FAQ out of the way; lets get on to choosing that perfect mount!

Last edited by Ahanil - Israphel; 08-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Asmodians
Default Re: [Guide] Picking the Perfect Mount For You

Choosing a Mount:

Like what I noted earlier; there are many factors into the uses of a mount. But here I'll touch up on what things to pay attention to when looking into a mount.

When mousing over a mount's icon you'll get something similar to this:
http://static.na.aiononline.com/powe...ceff15fb78.jpg

The main text you want to be focused on is the text in the middle.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5262/mountspeed.png
  1. Movement Speed: This is the base cap movement speed your mount will run at, at all times. The use of Run Speed scrolls will not increase this movement speed.
  2. Flight Speed: This is the based amount of flight speed your mount will fly at, at all times. The use of Flight Speed scrolls will not increase the flying speed.
  3. Sprint: Some mounts do not have a sprint; therefore pressing R will do nothing while mounted and this second section will not be there.
  4. Sprint Movement Speed: This is the boost of speed you get when pressing the R button while mounted.
  5. Flight Time Consumed: This is the amount of flight time you loose per second while in sprint mode.

(Still in editing process)

Last edited by Ahanil - Israphel; 06-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Asmodians

Mounts:

There are currently five categories of mount types with one of them being a mysterious type.
  • Sharptooth
  • Pagati
  • Surfrider
  • -speed
  • Fourgill

Sharptooth Series:

The Sharptooth series is very much like a Final Fantasy XIII meets Aion's Reian Technology type mount. There are currently three types of Sharptooth mounts in Aion.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/550/barbtail.png
One Sharptooth is the Sharptooth Barbtail; which can be bought from the Black Cloud Market. This Sharptooth is a bluish steel blue tint and comes in three different kinds. A 15-day-version, a 30-Day version, and a permanent version! The 30 Day version costs 640 Ncoin; while it's 15 Day cousin costs 480 Ncoin, and the permanent version is a whopping 2,400 NCoin.

The next two sharptooth mounts are crafted via Handicrafting.
The Sharptooth Airspike is a completely colored in silver and is the non proc production of the handicrafted mount.

The Sharptooth Bloodletter is a gold version which tints in silver when in direct sunlight. This bike is considered the fastest mount in the game currently and is a chance proc off the normal production of the bike make by Handicrafters.

These two crafted Sharptooth's require a lot of materials and a lot of Kinah for just one try. The recipe is bought in Kamar in Sarpan and costs anywhere from 25-28 mil! And did I mention it's a one time use recipe? So if you have materials for 2 of these, you'll have to shell out twice as much for two recipes. The most expensive material for this bikes production is the Life Leaves; which are drops from Seasonal Agrints and you need ten of these for one bike. Talk about kinah sinks! But if you want to try for the fastest mount in the game and have the time and money to contribute; then it'll make the reward all the more sweeter!

Pagati Series:

Whats any MMORPGs with mounts without a Dragon-like mount? Well that's where the Pagati steps in! Unlike their wingless bretheren in Sarpan and Tiamaranta, these Pagati have been genetically altered by aether to hatch with wings, fancy that! Like the Sharptooth series; there are three Pagati mounts.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9615/ironhide.png
One Pagati mount; the Pagati Ironhide is bought through the Black Cloud Market, this Pagati is green in color and is often referred to as the Yoshi Pagati or the Mean, Green, Flying Machine. Like the Barbtail it also comes in 15 and 30 day versions as well as a top notch permanent version. The Pagati Ironhide costs 640 Ncoin for the 30 day version, 480 Ncoin for the 15 day version, and for 2,400 Ncoin, you'll get your very own, yours to keep, Pagati Ironhide forever.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7...gativeyron.png
The next Pagati mount is the Pagati Veyron. This Pagati comes in a sleek black color and is the second fastest mount in the game as of 3.0. So where exactly can you get one? Well.. first you must be able to run Rentus base in Tiamaranta; then you have to fight your way bravely through to the last boss and defeat him in high hopes that the loot table will open to reveal this black beauty. Given the sour drop rates and how long the fight is for the last boss, very few are privileged to call this beast their trusted steed.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2186/pagatiloper.png
The final Pagati mount is the Pagati Loper. This crimson reddish Pagati is considered the only mount you don't have to shell out tons of kinah or real money for. Yep! That's right! This mount is bought with Kahrun Symbols, 1,435 to be exact. The only downfall? You have to be level 60 to ride it. Other than grinding for weeks on end to gather the symbols needed for this mount; it would be a welcome addition to any dragon lovers collection!

Surfrider Series:

Did you often see the large creatures flying in the sky with majestic halos upon their backs when you were a fresh Daeva? Have you often wondered how a whale can fly? Well put your questions at ease with your very own (though particularly smaller) surfrider! There seem to be many surfrider mounts both in game and in .dat files on aionarmory.com But here I'll touch up with the four that are currently available.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/599/sandburst.png
The first surfrider I'll touch up on is the Sandburst Surfrider which can be bought from the Black Cloud Market; just like the Pagati Ironhide and Sharptooth Barbtail. This sandy themed surfrider is available in a 15-day, 30-day, and permanent version with a value of 320 Ncoin, 480 Ncoin, and 1,920 Ncoin respectively.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8189/bluesurfrider.png
The next surfrider is the lowest level, purchasable Blue Surfrider. You can get this fabulously blue tinted mount at level 30 for around 11mil-12 mil at the mount vendor in Pernon and Oriel.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3247/airskim.png
The third surfrider is the Airskim Surfrider, which can also be bought from the mount vendor in Pernon and Oriel for about 58mil-59 mil and is usable by level 50 or above.

The last surfrider is the Waveform; which is a level 60 mount that has a chance to drop off the Seasonal Agrint spawns in both Pernon and Oriel. This is one of the top five fastest mounts ranked at last. I have yet to get a picture of it so if anyone has one i'd be happy to get it and show it.

-speed Series:

Close your eyes and imagine flying on a fluffy white cloud; Now open them because these mounts aren't a dream! These mounts resemble white fluffy clouds and are some of the fastest level 30+ mounts in the game.
Currently these mounts are restricted to Event's only and was previously a part of the Large Cube bonus item. There are currently two types of these mounts in the .dat files on Aionarmory.com

The first is the Cirruspeed, which was previously offered as a large cube bundle item in May 2012. This mount could be used by level 30+ and was the fastest level 30+ mount in the game; riding at 12.0 speed and 16.0 flying speed, far surpassing the usefulness of the Blue Surfrider. Sadly, those who purchased the Large Cube were only graced with a 30-day version of the mount. But pop those dream bubbles folks; Cause there is now a permanent version for you in the Black Cloud Market for only 3,600 Ncoin!

The second -speed mount in the series is the Stratowisp. Currently this mount is unobtainable in game and in store and seems to be an event item just like it's predecessor the Cirruspeed. But players will be delighted to find this mount lasts Half a year! That's right! The Stratowisp will last a wopping 180 days once obtained.

Fourgill Series:

The Fourgill series is currently a large mystery. Speculation has lead some to believe the fourgill's are the other flying mounts that you see some of the Vasharti legion riding and Rentus Base respectively; based on their icons on aionarmory.com. There are currently three types of Fourgill's in the series.

One is the Slickest Fourgill. This mount is an eternal grade mount and can be obtained and ridden by level 60's. While it's normal riding speed is just like that of the Pagati Veyron, however it's flying speed is 1 point lower, making it fly at 15.0 speed. It also sprints at 15.0 speed and consumes 12 seconds of flight time per second you are in sprint mode.

The Redhot Fourgill can be obtained by level 50s or higher and is a fabled grade mount. This mount travels on land at 12.0 speed, flys at 14.5 speed, and sprints at 14.0, consuming 12 seconds of flight time per second in sprint.

The third Fourgill is the Agitated Fourgill. This mount is level 30+ and it's another fabled grade mount. While this mount does not have a sprint mode; it can run at speed of 11.1 and fly at speeds of 14.0.

Last edited by Ahanil - Israphel; 08-15-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Asmodians

Charts and Misc:

Fastest to Slowest (In-Game)
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7...ttoslowest.png

Useful Links:
Aion Armory

Last edited by Ahanil - Israphel; 06-09-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Asmodians

Reserved for Future stuff or Space
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Asmodians

Reserved for space if needed
Old 05-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Elyos

The Pagati mounts are the coolest looking ones . Dragons ftw!! I really wish they would add cooler looking mounts tho . Like in the Aion Vision videos, they show ppl being able to kill mobs and use them as mounts.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Asmodians

I was VERY lucky with my mount. Spent all my kinah getting mats and it proc'd!

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Aion0590.jpg
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Aion0598.jpg
"If you light a lamp for someone else, you brighten your own path as well."
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden - Siel View Post
I was VERY lucky with my mount. Spent all my kinah getting mats and it proc'd!
Oh wow nice!! ^^ grats to you!! How much did it cost you in mats?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariea - Kahrun View Post
Oh wow nice!! ^^ grats to you!! How much did it cost you in mats?
I tried to gather/morph as much as I could but I think around 50mil by the time all was said and done.
"If you light a lamp for someone else, you brighten your own path as well."