Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Asmodians
Default My initial impressions

I recently purchased this game, and would like to give some initial thoughts on it.

I have made 2 toons. This one, as well as a lvl 10 elyos warrior.

Is it me, or does Elyos seem like the "easy button"?

Visually the game is fine. Some graphical issues, but that comes with hardware. I wish i was able to play the game smoothly on high settings, but I had to lower settings to remove some lag, and to improve performance.

I'm kind of up in the air. I recall that when I initially signed up there were about 15 or so servers. Those have all been combined into about 5 or 6. That to me is definitely not a good sign. It's nice that area's seem to always have players in them, but that kind of consolidation just tells me there wasn't enough people to fill them in the first place. It would leave anyone coming in asking: does anyone really play?

Questing is nice. I like the way you can locate the objective.

The rest feature seems redundant. Why not remove the feature and just increase health & mana regeneration at rest / when not in combat? As this toon is a mage, it takes so long to attack, and mana potions at vendors seem highly over priced.

I know it's the same company but I would think you'd want to seperate this brand from City of Heros. The "rock radar" rock music when in combat seems out of place. The music in general although nice, does seem out of place at times.

Admittedly, i have not played enough of the game yet to come up with an in-depth opinion on the later game stuff and these are just first impressions.

And I have to say one of the funniest things i've done was in the elyos capital. I forgot about that lift in the tower, walked into the whole and just fell. On dying there, I had to start at the beginning..why not have people resurrect there?

Just some initial thoughts. Hopefully, I will play some more and think of some things to possibly make the game better...i said better, not like Wow.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Asmodians
Default Re: My initial impressions

How about jumping on the elevator going down in Sanctum.............. yeah learned the hard way.

I agree with the music it's rather cheesy/odd/dumb to have club/dance like music in a video game with heavenly/angelic characters..................... but anyway.

People will tell you **** like "NCSoft made TOO many servers at start to succumb to the mass flow of new players etc.. and now we are at the amount of servers that is normal"

That's total BS and hiding from the truth IMO.. I never seen any other games use that as an excuse lol... but w/e this game is dying and in a pityful state atm most people are just waitin for FFX and GW2 at this point.

It's a Korean game ..
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Asmodians

There are other issues. Basically what happened when Aion came out every WoW fanboi and his mom made a subscription HOPING and i tell you HOPING this would be WoW 2.0 with better graphics.

Basically Aion takes MMO's back to how they are supposed to be where you earn your rewards and levels (this is new) TAKE WORK! Now 50% of the time the reward/penalty ratio is completely f'd up. Trust me.

Patch 1.9 recently should have been called "Everything, everyone qq'd about for the last 7 months patch" <--I am serious there

Right now the big issue is how do you establish balance between the races. This is way better then the "omg WTF WNZERS AION IS DYING" I prefer that arguement because that is the one WoW gave up on a LONGGGG time ago.

WoW's solution was to establish battlegrounds at the cost of world pvp. Maybe with this design that might end up being the ultimate solution and allow Elyos access to upper fort instances, but with limited benefits.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Elyos

I thought either side was easymode. x.x
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Asmodians

It's sad. I just renewed my Wow account after 2 days of letting it lapse, and it was hacked again!

I was hopeful this game would fill that void. But after playing Wow for 6 years, it's hard to find a game that has all the features they've added (the random dungeons are a great add).

I loved Warhammer. I thought the PVP there was a ton of fun, raiding castles in the middle of the zone. But again, that's another game that seemed very empty, like i was the only one in a zone.

I was considering getting star trek but i read a review where player interaction was very sparse.

Maybe it's time I reach out to Microsoft about my Mechwarrior MMORPG idea.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurehealLM - Israphel View Post
There are other issues. Basically what happened when Aion came out every WoW fanboi and his mom made a subscription HOPING and i tell you HOPING this would be WoW 2.0 with better graphics.

Basically Aion takes MMO's back to how they are supposed to be where you earn your rewards and levels (this is new) TAKE WORK! Now 50% of the time the reward/penalty ratio is completely f'd up. Trust me.
Aion basically is WoW just with a lot more grind and less content. Oh and aerial combat lulz.

I see this pretty often. "You have to work in MMOs." Well, when the work is boring and tedious who wants to continue doing it? If the work were challenging (more importantly fun), then sure I wouldn't have a problem putting in the "work."

Keep telling yourself all of your "work" in a video game matters. It doesn't. What happened to playing to have fun instead of working.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurambarIS - Israphel View Post
Keep telling yourself all of your "work" in a video game matters. It doesn't. What happened to playing to have fun instead of working.
It depends or you definition of fun...and yes some of us are actually having fun in Aion.

...we must be crazy! >_>
Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuadain - Zikel View Post
It depends or you definition of fun...and yes some of us are actually having fun in Aion.

...we must be crazy! >_>
Why yes... yes we are! Even when my main Elyos or Asmo is getting "OWN-NED", I laugh, get up and keep having fun!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Asmodians

This is a game where the emphasis is not on the PvE. PvE content is sparse, and what content there is is trifling and boring. PvP is the purpose of this game, and at the higher levels the game opens up. Most people here wouldn't still be playing unless they enjoyed the PvP, so give it a try and see how it does for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Asmodians

Not to mention it's very hard to PVE in open areas since merge with eveyrone and their uncle ganking you.