Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Asmodians
Default Expert Test - Thoughts.

Here I document my experience with the cooking expert test, having completed it yesterday morning.

Note: I gathered all of the required mats, including aether. Each time I start off with enough for 3 attempts.

1st Round:

- All recipes proc-ed for me within 3 to 4 tries
- 1.5 mil spent on buying the 1-use designs
- Proc rates here seem to be higher than the 2nd round
- Recipes are about 100k each

2nd Round (was done over the span of 2 days):

- Smoothie was first to proc on the 5th attempt
- Fish was next, on the 4th attempt
- Attempted 6 times on salad with failure as result.
- Attempted 6 times on chowder. Failed too.
- Left it alone for the day.
- Recipes are double the price of those in the 1st round.

Next morning I tried again:

- Chowder proc-ed. This is the 8th attempt.
- Salad proc-ed last on the 9th attempt.
- Overall proc rates are reduced in the second round.
- Spent about 5 mil on the 1-use recipes.

*The vendor mats are cheap so I didn't factor those in.

Conclusions:

I found it helpful personally to think of this as similar somewhat to manastone socketing. There are time when you are going to have good luck; other times, stones fail consecutively for no reason at all. When you find yourself getting frustrated, step back and continue at a later time.

Ladarius - My baby pocket sin. He's very fat and very cute, but don't pet him. He'll bite. :3
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Elyos
Default Re: Expert Test - Thoughts.

I had 20+ fails on some part of the master cooking line.
Over the course of several days. D:

IT SUCKS. SO. MUCH.

/picks up printer and throws it out the window to go office space on it.
Quests missing? Game Options -> Interface -> check Display Low Level Quests -> Apply
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Asmodians

Damn. I'm so not looking forward to mastering X.x

Ladarius - My baby pocket sin. He's very fat and very cute, but don't pet him. He'll bite. :3
Old 12-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Elyos

Past all 9 test last night. Yes i said 9 as i screwed myself.

Proc'ed 1st test. 2nd test and 3rd test. then picked up the 4th one. I had a extra 3rd test in my quest cube and decide to dump it. I instead removed the 4th test by mistake instead of the 3rd one. So i tried to get the 4th test back and he would only give me # 3 again. Yet i had passed it already.

So after freaking out i decided to try again. I got lucky and passed it only to have her tell me to get test 2!! What?!? I passed it already!! More raging and i DO TEST 2 again!! Pass that and now she says get test one!! NOOOOOOOOOO!! I passed that already what is going on?!?!

So once again i start test 1 and pass it!! Only to get test 2 again then test 3 and then FINALLY get test 4 which i passed and am now a master cook. I had to pass 9 test to make master because of a glitch in game from throwing out test 4 by mistake.

Thank god i was able to do it in one setting and get very lucky to pass on 3 of the test the first time. Talk about my bank account taking a hit.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Asmodians

I still think the cooking expert test is a troll joke.
While the alchemy one gives you the recipe with the proc item.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Elyos

Good gracious, I'm so not looking forward to mastering Cooking anytime soon, then. D:
Old 12-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Asmodians

I managed to do this on one of my toons. It sucked. Badly. I agree that there should be recipes for the crit items just like all the other professions. Even if it's only for the quest items and not normal food.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angina - Siel View Post
I still think the cooking expert test is a troll joke.
While the alchemy one gives you the recipe with the proc item.
You guys must have forgot what the test used to be like. In the past you had to use all materials gathered in the wild. The recipes were real items that could just as easily been something you could sell or use. For instance alchemy had to make the lvl 50 worthy noble durable book. This was a pain because we had butt-holes would buy up all the fluxes just to make the prices higher on the broker. The worst part is we did not have the 3 greens to a blue recipe nor did we have the auto proc recipes. I know for handicraft it took me like 21 attempts. While its a drop in the bucket compared to what you paid for the master test, cooking got off extremely easy with materials gathered from critters in the level 35-40 range and stuff you gathered. We had to depend on worthy premium fluxes. Cooking should have a harder time now considering how easy it was to pass back then. Just saying that's all.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinator - Israphel View Post
You guys must have forgot what the test used to be like. In the past you had to use all materials gathered in the wild. The recipes were real items that could just as easily been something you could sell or use. For instance alchemy had to make the lvl 50 worthy noble durable book. This was a pain because we had butt-holes would buy up all the fluxes just to make the prices higher on the broker. The worst part is we did not have the 3 greens to a blue recipe nor did we have the auto proc recipes. I know for handicraft it took me like 21 attempts. While its a drop in the bucket compared to what you paid for the master test, cooking got off extremely easy with materials gathered from critters in the level 35-40 range and stuff you gathered. We had to depend on worthy premium fluxes. Cooking should have a harder time now considering how easy it was to pass back then. Just saying that's all.
I wasn't here in the past, sorry old bro.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Elyos

Cooking isnt nearly as expensive as some of the other expert and master craft requirements (especially handicrafting) but it is insanely annoying. Buy the morph recipes in Inggy or Gelk depending on faction to save time and or expense on the mats.