Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Elyos
Default Fastest Way to become a Broker Independent Alchemist

Hello alchemists! So I want to get into alchemy to get the Kinah flowing/supply myself/legion, like every other alchemist :P

From my understanding, alchemy is easily profitable if you gather/morph all the required mats, so that's the plan: To get to that point as fast as possible.

The resources I'm willing to put into this: 50m Kinah, 800 NCoin.

I've heard of alchemists getting to 500 in few days, then making hundreds of millions a week because they gather all their mats (guessing that means I'll have to level my gathering/aethertapping?). I'd also really like to hear some real, up to date statistics on what alchemy is like nowadays. Profit vs. Time Invested a week kinda statistics would be sweet Like is hundreds of millions a week actually realistic, or just for the top 1% alchemists that monopolize and excel everything :O

Also pointing me toward an up to date guide or two would be much appreciated

I'm a complete noob when it comes to crafting/gathering, so treat me like one, thanks for all your help guys!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
Asmodians
Default Re: Fastest Way to become a Broker Independent Alchemist

I make fair money on my alchemist, about 60 mil a week for ~ 3-4 hours of work. There are more efficient ways of making kinah than crafting but for a casualish player like myself, it works. The people who got to master in a few days (I was one of those once) probably spent 100 mil or more to do it (I did).

Leveling gathering for crafting is a waste of time, far more efficient to level aethertapping and morph your mats. A few caveats
1. You will need lots of flight potions
2. You will need DP food. The jelly has a 30m cd, so pays to run solo instances and morph as you gain DP.
3. You will need access to forts in the abyss and Gelk to obtain the morph methods. Haven't heard of any being available in Katalam/Danaria yet.
4. The morph methods for the mats cost kinah. The greater variants cost a lot of kinah. I want to say that all of the morph recipes I needed cost me about 20, maybe 30 mil. However, I was supporting more than one crafter at the time, it may not be that high for just the alchemy ones.
5. Don't expect to make much money til you're at least expert level. It's mostly the Fine series that sells consistently well for potions. They sell fast, but not high. Majors sell higher, but slower. Pick your poison, I go with fast but lower price.
6. Check broker prices before crafting any scrolls. The paper cost is large relative to the price currently being paid for them.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Asmodians

I can make like 10mil an hour. If I just leave my PC on while I'm away for school(6-7 hours), I could make 400mil+ a week. But, I'd have to pay more for energy bill and my PC would probably die from that. So, nah. =P
Usually I have 2 hours of homework a day, so I craft during those hours and can make 20mil a day from Alchemy.

@Nefertitian. I got Alchemy to 499p in 4-5 days, but I spent no more than 20mil doing so. You can easily level up by doing work orders, which are free until you reach 400p. Then just craft the cheapest things, like Fine elemental stone/water. I don't think it's worth getting it over 499p. It costs a lot of kinah if you're gonna go over 500p.

Last edited by 1s25C1C6 -; 03-27-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Asmodians

I spend about 2 hours a week aethertapping, and about 2 hours a week crafting while I do housework or whatever. If I put more time in, I could get more out. At the time I leveled alchemy, I was doing it for Fenris and I was too impatient to do work orders. Bought my mats at the broker, didn't have aethertapping on any toon, had no morphs. Straight batch crafted whatever recipes gave me points until they were yellow-ish white, then switched to something else.

I would not recommend this method of leveling alchemy but I didn't want to babysit work orders. Also, I made the mistake of paying masters fee because I wanted the robe skin, not realizing its one time use.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Elyos

Thank you guys for such quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertitian - Siel View Post
I make fair money on my alchemist, about 60 mil a week for ~ 3-4 hours of work. There are more efficient ways of making kinah than crafting but for a casualish player like myself, it works. The people who got to master in a few days (I was one of those once) probably spent 100 mil or more to do it (I did).

Leveling gathering for crafting is a waste of time, far more efficient to level aethertapping and morph your mats. A few caveats
1. You will need lots of flight potions
2. You will need DP food. The jelly has a 30m cd, so pays to run solo instances and morph as you gain DP.
3. You will need access to forts in the abyss and Gelk to obtain the morph methods. Haven't heard of any being available in Katalam/Danaria yet.
4. The morph methods for the mats cost kinah. The greater variants cost a lot of kinah. I want to say that all of the morph recipes I needed cost me about 20, maybe 30 mil. However, I was supporting more than one crafter at the time, it may not be that high for just the alchemy ones.
5. Don't expect to make much money til you're at least expert level. It's mostly the Fine series that sells consistently well for potions. They sell fast, but not high. Majors sell higher, but slower. Pick your poison, I go with fast but lower price.
6. Check broker prices before crafting any scrolls. The paper cost is large relative to the price currently being paid for them.
Yes, I like how passive/casual this way of gaining kinah can be, though like you said, it may not be as efficient as other ways. I don't like dungeon diving PvE so much as of now, having to commit an amount of time (usually 30min-1hour it seems) that can't be so easily disturbed.
So I should just max aethertapping? Also, since I don't have access to the FT server anymore, I'm assuming that'll take...twice as long to do now -_-
What will I need DP Jelly for?
And wow, that's a lot of helpful advise! It seems to match what a lot of others on the forum say, thank you so much! I think I will also stick to the serums, I remember that one event where you could get like a couple hundred 9% attack/casting speed scrolls with 1sec CD that lasted maybe 30 min... I've actually got a few dozen saved up. Its great in combat, not so much for the alchemist trying to turn a profit And yep, I understand that I'll be spending money before I make it, so I asked about it first

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageMoreXD - Siel View Post
I can make like 10mil an hour. If I just leave my PC on while I'm away for school(6-7 hours), I could make 400mil+ a week. But, I'd have to pay more for energy bill and my PC would probably die from that. So, nah. =P
Usually I have 2 hours of homework a day, so I craft during those hours and can make 20mil a day from Alchemy.

@Nefertitian. I got Alchemy to 499p in 4-5 days, but I spent no more than 20mil doing so. You can easily level up by doing work orders, which are free until you reach 400p. Then just craft the cheapest things, like Fine elemental stone/water. I don't think it's worth getting it over 499p. It costs a lot of kinah if you're gonna go over 500p.
Thank you so much for specific numbers/stats. It's really what I was looking for! I'm in a similar boat. Got lot's of time I can spend AFK crafting cuz of school/hw ;P I intend on keeping it at 499. I hear a lot of bad stuff about 500+, like mats are too expensive and such atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertitian - Siel View Post
I spend about 2 hours a week aethertapping, and about 2 hours a week crafting while I do housework or whatever. If I put more time in, I could get more out. At the time I leveled alchemy, I was doing it for Fenris and I was too impatient to do work orders. Bought my mats at the broker, didn't have aethertapping on any toon, had no morphs. Straight batch crafted whatever recipes gave me points until they were yellow-ish white, then switched to something else.

I would not recommend this method of leveling alchemy but I didn't want to babysit work orders. Also, I made the mistake of paying masters fee because I wanted the robe skin, not realizing its one time use.
I don't really have a particular craving to do work orders all day either, and would rather afk while watching a movie or something. This is the way of leveling I want to look into, and am willing to spend a bit more kinah for my laziness. Since well, it seems I'll be making it back soon enough. Though I think I can shave off a bit from the 100m you spent? Or not... More details about this would be awesome!

Again, thanks ya guys! Really appreciate it.

Last edited by Jahd - Tiamat; 03-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Asmodians

Max aethertapping, yes. Considering how crazy the 400-499 aethertapping areas are with people (and bots, god the bots), it might actually be worth it to level a cleric or songweaver to 55 and have it live on FTS and aethertap. Both of those classes have flight buffs, which is why I'd recommend them.

DP jelly is needed to morph your mats. It gives you 4000 dp, which will is 20 makes of a morphing recipe. Typically 20 makes = 60 gatherables, though its different for ores. Jelly has a 30m cd. So watch a sitcom, come back, pop a jelly, morph 60 more mats, craft more.

You don't have to spend like I did, my bill was high because I bought all my mats off the broker. Fresh liconsis was about 45k a pop then, and fresh plia was only a little cheaper, and I needed tons of it. Had I morphed my mats, even paying 9k a pop for the dp jelly, I would have saved a lot of kinah. But...was new to the game, and bad at a lot of stuff.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Elyos

I figured I would chime in. My Alchemy is maxed currently and I make a lot of kinah (between 20-80 mil a day depending). I also spend a lot of time crafting. So in addition to what was said already I thought I would toss out a few more tips

- Get warehouse space: It allows you to make pots and scrolls when mat prices are low, save them, then put them on the broker when prices are high. Plus it allows you to store mats enchant stones and others to sell when pot prices go too low

- Do the math! Get an excel spreadsheet that calculates cost of mats etc. to see where the biggest profit is. On Tia currently Greater Healing potions are the biggest bang for the buck

- From above, buy whatever mats you can and morph the rest. I have a threshold limits after using my excel spreadsheet and changing up prices/costs. Like I won’t buy fresh hintera unless it’s below a certain level, and I won’t sell pots unless they are above a certain level.

- There are many bots in game. Know when to buy their pots and scrolls, store them, then re-sell. Plus with instances dropping pots and scrolls it’s always too good to check

- Check mat prices even if you mostly morph, sometimes you can get real deals when people clean out warehouses or need fast kinah.

- Get macros that open bundled items. Saves a lot of time and money if you open as prices for many unbundled mats are higher than the bundled ones (for that reason and because you use less aether to morph a bundled item)

- Don’t put lots of stuff on the broker at once. Putting stacks of 500 multiple times for one item just means you will be undercut. I will put 100x2 stack items up at a time (for each of the fine scrolls and pot) That will give you an idea of what’s selling, means you won’t lose your shirt if you are undercut, allows you to adjust the price for maximum profit, and allows the person you just undercut to get sales if you are away from broker for a bit at work or doing EB.

- If people are selling in stacks of 2, 3, or 5 hundred , you can sell at a higher price (with better profit) if you sell in stacks of 100 or 50. Not everyone buys stacks of 1000 all at once.

- From above… lots of people WILL buy in large stacks in the case of run, cast, and attack speed scrolls. They use them in buff pets, so think about it.

- Typically you can sell a stack of 500 for less per unit than a stack of 100 and less than a stack of 50. Putting a stack of 500 with the same unit price as the stack of 100 is just plain silly.

- It’s silly to put up fine mana potions for 10 k each when fine recovery potions are going for 9.2 k each.

- When people flood the market (usually because they have instance pots or because the aether bots are working overtime), it’s time to sell of those balaur mats and enchantment stones you have been saving in your warehouse. Always have stuff to sell and keep the broker full at all times.

- Candy that says “you cannot use some skills” like poco or argint candy cut crafting time a lot by reducing the animations (like 20-40%). Consider using it if you are crafting lots of elemental waters or big batch crafting jobs.

- You can do a lot of crafting while working online, doing homework, or napping. My toon usually works harder than I do (idk how he does it, the poor sorc just doesn’t sleep…lol).

- Don’t forget about manastones, temporal stones, blue crystals, and other things. Often you can make a hefty profit with those when pots are priced too low to sell.

- Leveling past 500 is useful. It allows you crafting speed at lower level stuff to increase. Plus it allows you to craft the superior pots for yourself (even if you can’t sell them for profit). Those superior pots also make nifty gifts to legion mates for helping you out or saving your butt at forts

- Finally you won’t make a lot of kinah overnight, and it requires some investment, but it’s a very good steady stream of kinah. It means you will always have kinah on-hand and won’t go through rich/poor cycles like others seem to do in game

Enjoy (sorry this is so long!)

Last edited by Angillix - Tiamat; 03-28-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Elyos

This is an almost overwhelming amount of such important information, down to such specific detail. I can't thank you guys enough! So I looked back at some old toons, and found that I've got a Lv34 SM with 172 aethertapping and 103 alchemy. Apparently some time ago this was a failed endeavor of mine ahah. Maybe it cost too much at the time. I'm going all the way through with it this time though. So I think I'll just continue on him. Just wondering though, is there an importance to being Lv55? And it wouldn't take much time, but I'm just wondering.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Asmodians

Well, Lvl 55 is the last opportunity to get on the FTS.
I guess on the servers the gathering spots are crowded (bots, lvl 65 chars getting all ur nodes...) and on the FTS it's not that bad (considering nearly everyone is just blasting through most of inggison!)
I can't speak for the NA servers (which are more c rowded than the EU servers I returend to), but having an alt on the FTS just for gathering is the best idea. This actually might work over at the eu servers, where nearly NO ONE is using the FTS.

Just a sidenote to the superior potions - i started to craft them recently and it's not rly worth the money. Based on the material prices on the broker and the things I have to buy from the vendor, I would have to sell ONE pot for 60k. No one rly pays the price (a stack of 100 would be what... 6 million kinah), but it's fine for the legion to use (or urself)... I actually got most of the materials out of the legion warehouse and from mates in my legion and crafted some of the pots and distributed them to the clerics healing in the high-level instances (that would be me and 2 other clerics :3).

Last thing - morph the bundled items! 3 times the profit....
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etharielle - Siel View Post
Well, Lvl 55 is the last opportunity to get on the FTS.
I guess on the servers the gathering spots are crowded (bots, lvl 65 chars getting all ur nodes...) and on the FTS it's not that bad (considering nearly everyone is just blasting through most of inggison!)
I can't speak for the NA servers (which are more c rowded than the EU servers I returend to), but having an alt on the FTS just for gathering is the best idea. This actually might work over at the eu servers, where nearly NO ONE is using the FTS.

Just a sidenote to the superior potions - i started to craft them recently and it's not rly worth the money. Based on the material prices on the broker and the things I have to buy from the vendor, I would have to sell ONE pot for 60k. No one rly pays the price (a stack of 100 would be what... 6 million kinah), but it's fine for the legion to use (or urself)... I actually got most of the materials out of the legion warehouse and from mates in my legion and crafted some of the pots and distributed them to the clerics healing in the high-level instances (that would be me and 2 other clerics :3).

Last thing - morph the bundled items! 3 times the profit....
i just do it with a 65. i go to the other faction's map via rift to tap. then i can kill whoever else is tapping. no competition yay =D