Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Asmodians
Default Ranger Damage Formula

(Since my thread in AionArmory doesn't seem to have any answers, I figured I'd throw this in here as well.)

Taking from the source of: Physical Damage and You - Cel

Quote:
Base damage done =

(Base Weapon damage + Enchanted Weapon damage)

* (Power / 100 + Weapon Passive% bonus / 100 + %Skill bonuses / 100)

+ Attack bonuses + Skill damage bonus
Quote:
Tooltip damage = Base skill damage

+ Base Weapon damage * ((Power + 100) / 2) / 100
Quote:
Crit Modifier
Bow - (1.7)x
Ranger Derived Damage:

Quote:
ranger Total damage =
((Bow damage)*(100/100 + [Archery Mastery]/100 + [Skill boosts]/100)
+ Attack stat + Ability damage) * (potential Crit mod)
- [Physical Defense]/10
Quote:
Archery Mastery:
I (?)
II (4)
III (?)
IV (?)
Quote:
Skill boosts:
Devotion (40)
Mau Form (20/30)
Strong Shots (5)
Bow of Blessing (20)
Focused Shots (30)
Bestial Fury (50)
Speed of the Wind (10)
Sharpen Arrows (10)
Quote:
Variables:
Stunning Shot 33% (2.0)x damage
Rupture Arrow 33% (2.0)x damage
PvP 100% (0.6)x damage

Bow Damage being our damage roll for the bow including our enchanted stat, 100/100 being our Power, Archery Master being our passive damage increase, and Ability Damage being what our skill used adds to our damage (not tooltip damage). If there are any misconceptions about the above formula or attributes, I really want to know. I want to understand how it works. Where are the other Variables calculated? Before Defense? Before Attack?

Example with 250 Bow Damage, 400 Attack, Bow of Blessing, Devotion, and guessing an 8% Damage IV Archery Mastery vs. someone with 1000 PDef in PvP. Auto Attack would be (((250)*(1 + 8/100 + 60/100) + 400 + 0) - 1000/10) * 0.6 = 432. With a crit it would be 776? A normal hit without Devotion would be 372. Given, this is simply an auto attack and these statistics may be kinda whack. I don't really know what is normal.

I'm posting this because I wanted to understand how the attack stat works. Which according to the above formula is not multiplied by anything at all. It's a simple addition. Bow Damage itself is modded slightly (it would be nice to know what level 4 mastery does), but mostly by all of our skill boosts. Which makes sense as to why we value the Bow Damage much, much more then the Attack Stat. The problem is, I keep hearing over and over that Devotion and such skills "only" increase the Attack Stat. Which they clearly don't at least when this formula was discovered. Is it wrong? Am I completely off base? I'm curious how it all works, so I can min-max and understand much more effectively.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Elyos
Default Re: Ranger Damage Formula

*head explodes*
Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Asmodians

Crit in the head by math for 10,000 HP!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Asmodians

This is my opinion based on the mechanics I've read and what I experience, open to corrections/further discussion:

Your example is pretty dead on for math as far as I can tell. My understanding is that PvP starts as just a 50% reduction of the same formula for PvE.

"I'm posting this because I wanted to understand how the attack stat works. Which according to the above formula is not multiplied by anything at all. It's a simple addition."
Exactly right, the +Attack on your manastones only increases for exactly what they say, a +5 manastone only adds 5 damage to your attack and is not a multiplier in your skill chains. That's why +Attack stone templated assassins & glads with Duel Wield get higher DPS from only using Auto-Attacks and not waiting for a skill delay that isn't modified.

"Bow Damage itself is modded slightly (it would be nice to know what level 4 mastery does), but mostly by all of our skill boosts. Which makes sense as to why we value the Bow Damage much, much more then the Attack Stat. The problem is, I keep hearing over and over that Devotion and such skills "only" increase the Attack Stat."
Attack stat is 2 parts, (Base Damage) + (Attack Modifier from equip/manastones) It's my take that devotion adjust base damage, and is a rough modifier in your formula that's close enough. Simplified: (base damage * modifiers like devotion) + attack stones = damage

Which they clearly don't at least when this formula was discovered. Is it wrong? Am I completely off base? I'm curious how it all works, so I can min-max and understand much more effectively.

For my ranger I recognize our skill modifiers are much higher caps, so if you want to min/max get your crit up like everyone suggests since that will also apply to skill uses. the +attack will help marginally, but the skill boosts take priority for damage potential, with only a small drop in consistancy.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaymus - Zikel View Post
This is my opinion based on the mechanics I've read and what I experience, open to corrections/further discussion:

Your example is pretty dead on for math as far as I can tell. My understanding is that PvP starts as just a 50% reduction of the same formula for PvE.

"I'm posting this because I wanted to understand how the attack stat works. Which according to the above formula is not multiplied by anything at all. It's a simple addition."
Exactly right, the +Attack on your manastones only increases for exactly what they say, a +5 manastone only adds 5 damage to your attack and is not a multiplier in your skill chains. That's why +Attack stone templated assassins & glads with Duel Wield get higher DPS from only using Auto-Attacks and not waiting for a skill delay that isn't modified.

"Bow Damage itself is modded slightly (it would be nice to know what level 4 mastery does), but mostly by all of our skill boosts. Which makes sense as to why we value the Bow Damage much, much more then the Attack Stat. The problem is, I keep hearing over and over that Devotion and such skills "only" increase the Attack Stat."
Attack stat is 2 parts, (Base Damage) + (Attack Modifier from equip/manastones) It's my take that devotion adjust base damage, and is a rough modifier in your formula that's close enough. Simplified: (base damage * modifiers like devotion) + attack stones = damage

Which they clearly don't at least when this formula was discovered. Is it wrong? Am I completely off base? I'm curious how it all works, so I can min-max and understand much more effectively.

For my ranger I recognize our skill modifiers are much higher caps, so if you want to min/max get your crit up like everyone suggests since that will also apply to skill uses. the +attack will help marginally, but the skill boosts take priority for damage potential, with only a small drop in consistancy.
Personally I am contemplating foregoing attack stones. Once you +10 a high level weapon, you put out sufficient dps in almost any fight. Now you add bow composition, and thats your attack stones.

Every stone should compliment your flaws. Like I have said in other threads, if you have issues against casters, socket magic resist or magical accuracy. If you have issues against melee, socket evasion. This is not fully tested, but just suggestions.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Asmodians

That's pretty close to the conclusion I came to, we're already a high DPS class, there's more utility to be gained in MR/HP etc. I won't post screenshots of big numbers, but I'll trade it for limiting weaknesses.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Elyos

Find your balance, attack stones still help, but +1 enchant giving +4 attack is far better then a +5 stone. I feel +attack from attack stones helps me alot, at level 35 it makes a much bigger difference in my damage.

That said, level 40 set is next, which will have no attack stones in it at all.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaymus - Zikel View Post
That's pretty close to the conclusion I came to, we're already a high DPS class, there's more utility to be gained in MR/HP etc. I won't post screenshots of big numbers, but I'll trade it for limiting weaknesses.
I find that HP is nerfed with leather and cloth wearers. We just dont have enough defense so prevent the damage we receive. therefore the only thing that can help is evasion and magic resist. HP is a waste of slots IMO. I would rather avoid a 2k attack 10 times out of 100, than get hit for it and have an extra 2k to cover it. Because the likelihood of being stunned, or slowed or something is high when getting pummeled like that.

Know what I mean?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Elyos

Manastones are basically "marginal gains." Each and every "stat" has their advantages in different areas.

I personally have multiple setsfor different situations. My main being attack, followed by a HP/MR Setup, Miragents with Evasion, and currently working on a 30 Elite set stacked with HP.

冷光 | 最後の最後に世界を裏切り、世界に裏切られた。
Old 06-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikou - Triniel View Post
Manastones are basically "marginal gains." Each and every "stat" has their advantages in different areas.

I personally have multiple setsfor different situations. My main being attack, followed by a HP/MR Setup, Miragents with Evasion, and currently working on a 30 Elite set stacked with HP.
Well this is an ideal situation. For example my goal is to have two bows, a PvE bow and PvP. PvE will be setup with Attack Stones and will be something like Miragents with a World Boss Drop (or save Xeno as a secondary bow). Attack stones are useful since they add up over time.

PvP will be Balic Bow coupled with the LVL 30 Abyss bow (8% bonus in PvP). I will probably end up socketing Magic resist in the end. because once you start enchanting, the additional attack stones become kind of a moot point in a 7 second PvP fight. Not to mention they are nerfed to bein with, if you consider the PvP decrease (60%) damage. So a +5 attack stone really only adds 3 damage.