Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Elyos
Red face Do you HAVE to tank?

I`ve been wanting to play AT for a while now but I absolutely don`t like tanking in groups, I know it`s a tanky class, it has taunts,+# enmity gear and that one enmity activation skill thingy you get early on.. But can I get into groups just as a DPS? Without using enmity increasing skills? Or will people be like ''lolno u r tank, u do da tank stuff''.

Thx!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Asmodians
Default Re: Do you HAVE to tank?

A good way to avoid this without having to ask your group is to only join groups that already have plate.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Elyos

You can go as DD just fine.
ATs deal quite nice damage and as long as you don't use your aggro skills the tank should have no problem holding aggro. Just tell your group that you want to go as DD instead of tank.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Elyos

Yeah, the thing with AT (and glad) is that you can tank most content perfectly fine and finding a templar specifically can be annoying

You can technically only join runs that already have one but you'll also cut down your group options by a lot if you go that route
Old 12-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Asmodians

Honestly you will find the opposite, people will be more likely to say nah get plate than accept an AT as tank. (generally)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:26 AM
Asmodians

People need to show more respect to Aethertechs; solid class for either roles.

Treat people with respect and never pass by a problem without doing something about it.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Asmodians

Thing is a good AT can tank just about anything, in some cases it might even be preferable, if you know how to use nulification trigger and how to rotate shield and defensive buffs, and also how to manage mana, ATs have just as good survivability as any other tank class, with the added bonus that nulification triger completelly resists an attack, avoiding that one shot all together.
To give a simple example, look at the sorc boss in sauro, he has the agrint curse skill, that turns the group into a nice looking forest , nulification trigger just resists it, i dont remember having seen a templar or glad ever resisting that thing out of hand, surviving the damage dealt afterward, yes, but not resisting.
And i was surprised to see how some clerics actually prefer AT as tanks in some situations, because of those combinations of things, and the self heals and such. I mean, wich other class AOE hp leeches a ton of mobs , making the life of clerics easier ? or has a skill with relativelly low cd like recharge ? not to mention a 100% hp restore and debuff on 10 min cd without needing DP.
So in my oppinion, instead of avoiding tanking, why not try it ? you may learn to like it xD
Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Elyos

Alright thanks everyone!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM
Asmodians

All depend from your group... Some players take at only as dps, some wants them to tank.
Tanking isn't that bad tbh. and good AT's often as dps pull agro like crazy w/o taunting.

I think its good to be able to do both. But if you don't like to be tank just look for groups with temps or tell leader you are not comfortable tanking smth.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Asmodians
Red face Re: Do you HAVE to tank?

I just started an AT alt and I'm also not really into tanking.

I've seen AT's tank lots of stuff, from low-level instances to OCC with no difficulty whatsoever. Though, for IS / EB it seems both templar and glad are prefered over them.

And then for Drakenspire Depths an AT is required to tank for group 2.
It seems a bit situational so far, personally I would indeed join groups with plate already in - dps is more fun