Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Officer
  • Posts: 40
Default Attack set vs. Macc set

Hello guys.
So I managed to socket all my abyss gear with macc/crit and crit/macc, so that I could reach 1800 macc and 1100 crit.

Now I'm evaluating the idea of building a secondary set for pvp, an attack/crit set, using the new mythical strife gear.

What do you think it's the best set for ranger in 4.9, crit/macc or attk/crit?

I know that attk from manastones doesn't add to skill damage, but most rangers still do it. Can't understand why.
In pvp rangers don't really weave, so it's kind of a strange choice.
I hope you can shed some light on this matter.
  #2  
Old 03-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Commander
  • Posts: 837
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

I was dueling a ranger that was Crit/Atk earlier, and I would get natural resists to Sleep Arrow when I was in Slayer Form (2570 MR).

Coming from someone on the receiving end, I am far more afraid of a good Sleep Arrow->Hell combo than I am of being bursted down faster.

Stopping my momentum is more effective than trying to beat my burst.
__________________
Paging Miss Fox

Assassin Guide - http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?p=2012210
4.9 PvP Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdoVS22rPs
  #3  
Old 03-02-2016, 02:33 AM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Officer
  • Posts: 40
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

Yeah, that makes more sense to me as well.
Landing all our CC's is kinda huge.

Dunno why most rangers prefer attack/crit though.
Probably they wanna see the big numbers displayed on their profile or there's more to it?!
  #4  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:36 AM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Officer
  • Posts: 73
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

I tend to use crit/hp along with macc/acc combined crits. Even regular accuracy tends to help since my MA sits at like 1400 and still get most of the CC's to land, turtling plates/clerics and slayer form sins being the exceptions. but accuracy is about 2900 and crit's currently 1050 before food and scrolls or speed of the wind.
Guessing the 1's who still slot attack are coming from 1 of the other physical classes and do it out of habit. I'd rather crit more often on the auto-attack weaves than have a higher basic just because of how much higher the critical is, 950 blah or 1400 crit, seems a no-brainer....
  #5  
Old 03-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Soldier
  • Posts: 27
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

Hello,

The only reason a Ranger should have an att/crit set is if he/she are majority "group pvp" and even still it would be the 3rd ranked set. The order of sets for a ranger who wants to pvp are "ma/crit or crit/ma" "crit/acc/hp" and then "atk/crit"-if you already have the others maxed with a decent bow.

The ma/crit is usefull for "Every" class; will get stuns/debuffs when other players use their counter buff.(except for those skills that automatically resist/evade)

crit/acc/hp - I would generally use it against temps/definitely block cleric. Gives you the extra HP for the extended battle and the acc so they can't turtle the entire fight.

atk/crit - The people who I have seen with this set usually out-gear me(+15armor,+5acc,+15wep). So I can't really say if their damage output was a reflection of the difference in gear or the added attack.. However, it's still debatable imo whether or not a ranger should go this route.. especially since most don't weave or have good ping...

Last edited by xLyChi - Tiamat; 03-03-2016 at 02:48 PM.
  #6  
Old 03-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Enraged Aftershock's Beard
  • Posts: 7,692
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinelychi - Tiamat View Post
Hello,

The only reason a Ranger should have an att/crit set is if he/she are majority "group pvp" and even still it would be the 3rd ranked set. The order of sets for a ranger who wants to pvp are "ma/crit or crit/ma" "crit/acc/hp" and then "atk/crit"-if you already have the others maxed with a decent bow.

The ma/crit is usefull for "Every" class; will get stuns/debuffs when other players use their counter buff.(except for those skills that automatically resist/evade)

crit/acc/hp - I would generally use it against temps/definitely block cleric. Gives you the extra HP for the extended battle and the acc so they can't turtle the entire fight.

atk/crit - The people who I have seen with this set usually out-gear me(+15armor,+5acc,+15wep). So I can't really say if their damage output was a reflection of the difference in gear or the added attack.. However, it's still debatable imo whether or not a ranger should go this route.. especially since most don't weave or have good ping...
@Bold

I realize templars who yield block against a Ranger are annoying, but isn't that where Crit/MA would be more useful? They lack, utterly, the kind of MR that would be useful vs a Ranger and you can just Sleep Arrow off a huge chunk of AA (but god please don't try to bury anything into it, just use it as a chance to make room/hide/recover). Plus, block only functions for us with our mace/shield out. Look into is attempting to disrupt (IE a well timed sleep arrow) a temp during burst while his GS is out... then move in to blow him up... oddly enough this is during AA's duration. Survive that (sleep arrow) and he has few opportunities for the remaining 2.5 minutes of the CD to handle debuffs. My MR at base is either 2.2, 2.3 or 2.5k no buffs/stance. If you threw on an acc set, without knowing that, as a default maneuver you are dead, no questions asked. The acc would likely only be viable Vs a Cleric/Chanter, as with stance I could overcome whatever acc you throw at me easily.

Most Temps Vs a Ranger would probably throw on an MR or Attack set anyway. Usually IMO we reserve maining block for Glad/Temp. Ranger MR is much more valuable. What you are more likely to experience is a Templar going full out while AA is up in his MR or Attack set and if he fails to kill you or does not hold iron skin/aa for after sleep arrow he'll -then- throw a block set on to mitigate/apply blind godstones until his major CD's are back up (which is a 2.5 - 3 minute window excluding Emp Fury).


IMO the order should be -

Crit/MA
Attack/Crit
HP/Acc

Crit/MA is probably equal to Attack in group pvp as you want to land debuffs on Clerics/SM as well as be able to swap and full burst while focusing with your group. but that's just my limited opinion.
__________________
Twitter - https://twitter.com/sunnymuffinz123
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/aftershockaion
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/aftershockmedia

Last edited by Giint - Siel; 03-03-2016 at 03:34 PM.
  #7  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Soldier
  • Posts: 27
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

Quote:
I realize templars who yield block against a Ranger are annoying, but isn't that where Crit/MA would be more useful? They lack, utterly, the kind of MR that would be useful vs a Ranger and you can just Sleep Arrow off a huge chunk of AA (but god please don't try to bury anything into it, just use it as a chance to make room/hide/recover). Plus, block only functions for us with our mace/shield out.
Siel has such versatile players :). This explains the benefit of having more than one set and having the situation awareness to know when to switch and on what to switch it too.

It should be noted that in a pvp battle not all fights are the same but the concept of applying a certain stat effect bonus in order to counter is.. just cut and paste across the board..

This is also why I don't see the use in an atk/crit for a ranger. To me the formula is simple crit/ma/hp or acc...

crit because you want the pew pew ranger pew pew diety to be pleased with you.. ma so that you can surely land your debuffs and hp or acc because you are a ranger-meaning you wear close to paper tissue for gear, so the added hp is nice and you obviously want to hit what you are aiming at, ergo accuracy.

To answer the question, ideally if or when a temp switches to block, the damage output is going to fall. With this in mind, the only thing you care about landing is either silence(to prevent further buffs) or maybe a slow (to stop them from running away) :)... Even still, the counter to blk is acc because even if you can't land debuffs you are still applying pressure and inevitably forcing them to make a decision(hopefully bad)

*tip* if you see a glad/temp fully buffed just run/sleep/shackle(choose either one) then lol come back and pew pew
  #8  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:18 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Enraged Aftershock's Beard
  • Posts: 7,692
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinelychi - Tiamat View Post
Siel has such versatile players :). This explains the benefit of having more than one set and having the situation awareness to know when to switch and on what to switch it too.

It should be noted that in a pvp battle not all fights are the same but the concept of applying a certain stat effect bonus in order to counter is.. just cut and paste across the board..

This is also why I don't see the use in an atk/crit for a ranger. To me the formula is simple crit/ma/hp or acc...

crit because you want the pew pew ranger pew pew diety to be pleased with you.. ma so that you can surely land your debuffs and hp or acc because you are a ranger-meaning you wear close to paper tissue for gear, so the added hp is nice and you obviously want to hit what you are aiming at, ergo accuracy.

To answer the question, ideally if or when a temp switches to block, the damage output is going to fall. With this in mind, the only thing you care about landing is either silence(to prevent further buffs) or maybe a slow (to stop them from running away) :)... Even still, the counter to blk is acc because even if you can't land debuffs you are still applying pressure and inevitably forcing them to make a decision(hopefully bad)

*tip* if you see a glad/temp fully buffed just run/sleep/shackle(choose either one) then lol come back and pew pew
You ignored a few things I said there...

I didn't dissuade or negate the idea of multiple sets (not saying you said or suggested I did, just clarifying). By that statement I meant, wouldn't Crit/MA rate higher over Acc, ever, because either way you ensure you're landing your debuffs, even likely vs a Templar (though it would work for clerics/chanters so it is still important but~~) in block who has AA up, and secondly because you will not reach the acc required to pierce a block templars stance(s)? Would it not be beneficial, in both situations, to have the MA to land blind after blind after silence after root after sleep... etc. Rather than try to burst, fail to and get caught by a Templar who's then going to use the proc to buff, pull and utterly destroy you in one lock? ... Which is what leads me to wonder if acc would really then only be useful against a Cleric (although in group pvp Attack/Crit would also honestly do fine if you were geared/focusing).
__________________
Twitter - https://twitter.com/sunnymuffinz123
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/aftershockaion
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/aftershockmedia

Last edited by Giint - Siel; 03-03-2016 at 08:20 PM.
  #9  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Commander
  • Posts: 837
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

I don't think you are going to have trouble landing skills on a block templar's low MR.
__________________
Paging Miss Fox

Assassin Guide - http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showthread.php?p=2012210
4.9 PvP Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZdoVS22rPs
  #10  
Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Asmodians
  • Rank: Officer
  • Posts: 73
Default Re: Attack set vs. Macc set

reading this, glad I'll never run in to giint as an enemy anywhere outside panesterra...
Ofc a block templar would fall to the cc, what he's trying to say most don't know the proper mechanics, having MR being the more important when the debuff effect is removed(resisted hue) the actual shot isn't all that more ticklely than our auto-attacks which most plates laugh off..
now to fin the kinah to replace some crit17/19 stones with the appropriate crit macc now that folks are catching up and the kills are thinning out....
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:43 AM.