Old 04-22-2016, 01:23 PM
Asmodians
Default Beyond the Windstream - April 22, 2016

Welcome Daevas to this week's edition of Beyond the Windstream, your bi-weekly community newsletter.

This week I talked with Aion's QA lead Stryker to give you all a bit of an idea about what goes in to the QA process for Aion.
Current News

Spring Harvest Event
Help Hirinerk collect fresh fruit and win prizes!

Rainbow Snake Festival
The Rainbow Snake festivities continue until May 4th.

Raid Support
Join others to take down world bosses in the Raid Support event.

Rainbow Snake's Ugly Children
There's still about a week left to get your entries in and I can't wait to show off all the amazing ones we've received.

Community Highlights

For Spanish-speaking Daevas, Killersamus on youtube has an on-going Aion series. Check out his channel here.

Shienar wrote up a comprehensive guide for those looking to get in to writing Aion fan fiction. Have a look in their thread.

In the fan art section, Cingloon shows off a sketch of his Elyos Assassin.

Buster's Corner
This week Stryker talks a bit about the QA process:

Hail Daevas!

I’m Stryker, the QA Project Lead currently in charge of Aion.

My team is responsible for testing pretty much everything that will make it to the Live environment and impact you, the players.

This includes but is not limited to: testing each individual event before it goes out, verifying patch notes for major updates, running sanity checks before the servers come up after maintenance each week, ensuring purchasing works for store updates, investigating live issues reported by Customer Service and Community, and browsing forums for player reported bugs.

We use internal bug database software for tracking to make sure all issues are reported, documented, and escalated as needed.

QA also has to interface with many key stakeholders and production teams. Some of which are responsible for the communications with Headquarters and others are in charge of the scheduling of game releases.

Some interdepartmental responsibilities involve giving testing estimations for new content, communicating when we need additional time or resources for testing, keeping updated on build delivery timelines and most importantly raising red flags when crashes or blocker bugs are discovered during testing.

Trying to ensure the quality of an entire MMO that can have weekly and bi-weekly updates on top of major patches every few months can be challenging but it is also exciting and gratifying.

We do it because we are also gamers that understand that bugs are not cool.

So please keep on sending us detailed bug reports (the more info the better!) and we will do our best to win another battle in our never-ending war on bugs.

Happy bug hunting!

Statistics

Bans since last newsletter: 5,355 accounts banned or suspended for botting, RMT, and/or hacks and cheats.

Like the newsletter? Have a section you want added? Want to correct my grammer and spelling? Let me know down below.

If you're interested in having your work or question featured in Beyond the Windstream, email us AionCommunity[at]NCSOFT.com.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Asmodians
Default Re: Beyond the Windstream - April 22, 2016

Good read, you're getting pretty good at this, Buster. Loved the feature with Stryker, I'd like to see more of that, bug the hell out of 'em all! What's Hime up to, something interesting no doubt!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeth - View Post
Good read, you're getting pretty good at this, Buster. Loved the feature with Stryker, I'd like to see more of that, bug the hell out of 'em all! What's Hime up to, something interesting no doubt!
Thanks! Hime had a piece a few issues back, and I've been trying to rotate the teams with regards to who to ask to write something.

I've still got Valor on the hook for a future issue, but if there's anyone else here at NCWest you want to hear from let me know.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by {CC}BusterCasey - Siel View Post
"...running sanity checks before the servers come up after maintenance each week..."
Made me giggle, lol.

Anyway, loving these posts. Keep them coming, Buster!
Bryos (TM A) - Corteo (KR E) - DarkAzphel (SL E)
Old 04-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Elyos

Thanks for bringing Stryker to us, Buster! Very interesting to hear from people that effect our game and yet we might never meet except through this format.

~happily rolling about in my own badness since 2009~
RIP: Honoria (Kaisinel/Elyos) ; Alysynne (Israphel/Asmo)
"Race balance is something that we take extremely seriously" - NCSoft
Old 04-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Elyos

I would like to say that my channel is not just a playing Aion, is the only channel all youtube with over 100 guides AION, in total between guides and lets play I have over 300 videos aion, and other games, even well, thanks for including me! : D
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Elyos

Quote:
testing each individual event before it goes out
Just a little update on the event currently going on "Spring Harvest Event".

I been around for a while and have done this event a few times... but this year is very different, the rarest item which is [event] fig, drops about 3-4x more than [event] vinna.

In IS server, players are literally selling vinna for about 40-60mil each, figs for 9-10mil.

In the event announcement and in the BCM it announces that fig would be the rarest and because of this, we can purchase fig from bcm, however... if the event isn't fixed, is there any way for any of the mods to put [event] vinna on the bcm for us to purchase? the prices here are ridiculous, or is there anyway ya'll can check what went wrong with this event this time around?

Last edited by Lordwarz - Israphel; 04-22-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by {CC}BusterCasey - Siel View Post
Shienar wrote up a comprehensive guide for those looking to get in to writing Aion fan fiction. Have a look in t-h-e-i-r thread.
Me and all my personalities would like to give you many thanks. ;)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Elyos

I think he wasn't positive on if you are a guy or a gal, so he went with the generic pronoun. ;D
Quests missing? Game Options -> Interface -> check Display Low Level Quests -> Apply
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Elyos

Everyone is an "it" until proven otherwise. :P
Bryos (TM A) - Corteo (KR E) - DarkAzphel (SL E)