Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Asmodians
Default Slideshotting and jumpshotting, a bit of trouble.

So, I've been playing ranger recently and have become a big fan of this class and realize it has a steep learning curve because of its unique kiting mechanics.

I've learned to jumpshotting after spending a while at the training dummies, then practising kiting around elites with jumpshots then finally putting it to use in actual PvP, mainly arenas and ID. I feel like I've got jumpshotting down, and have found some skills are harder to jumpshotting then others (like holy arrow) but feel I can do them all well enough now. Then I found myself not being able to jumpshot at all while fighting on uneven terrain, it's kind of hard cause you have to time skills to be used right when you hit the ground, but with uneven ground it's hard to tell, it's especially hard when going uphill (though in theory probably much better for jumpshotting since you would be shooting more rapidly). After talking with a friend he told me I should learn to slide shot since it's better and "easier" he says. For some reason, no matter how many guides I've read, and what I've tried, I haven't really been able to get it down. As far as I understand, you auto attack, cancel the animation with a skill and jump forward at the same time, I find myself either still rooted where I use the skill or jumping forward and using the skill after I land when I do this. Im hoping someone could help me figure out how to slide shot.

My other questions are, is slideshotting really better then jumpshotting? Well atleast for PvP? And which will have better overall dps? Which method is more mobile? Which method is more consistent? What are the main difference between the two? What are the pros and cons to each and other?

On a side note, I play with 44-57ish ms ping (yeah, it's decently low, I have a ping reducing guide if any of you are interested lol), and have also heard it's harder to jump/slideshot with lower ping (not sure if it's true, but neither do I really care cause I like having decent ping lol).
Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Slideshotting and jumpshotting, a bit of trouble.

Slideshot is harder than jumpshotting.

Also jumpshot there isn't really much practical usage of it in the game unless you are chanter doing mountain crash, otherwise it's just this mechanic that's sort of there.

Low ping has harder time with slideshot because you have to control the timing more accurately than higher ping which has a large window.

Slideshot will always be higher DPS because you can weave and also guaranteed forward movement buff, unlike jumpshot where you are constantly moving and stopping which can glitch the buff and you cannot jumpshot successfully if you autoattack.

It's much easier to slideshot when you are in the air about to begin a jumpweave, rather than starting from a stationary position because you have more time (and your fingers are freed up temporarily in the air) to hit your keybinds.

As for uneven ground, slideshot timing is something that changes for every unique animation of a skill, depending on its length, global cooldown, etc., and not just the terrain. So instead of grasping a fixed timing, as mufflerman said, you should become familiar with the animations of your character ie. when it raises the bow, when the knees crouch on landing, etc. base your timings off of that.

I would watch

You can see the main slideshot keypress order is going to be Jump > Weave in air > stationary skill > W + Jump. In some situations where you have to start your slideshot from a stationary position, it is autoattack (Weave) > skill > W + Jump

And important thing to note is that doing it with the weave (or weapon unsheathing as substitute) is actually not a required element of slideshotting, as most people would believe, it just makes the timing a lot more forgiving.

Last edited by Aethyria - Siel; 06-26-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Elyos

If you have br elyos i can help you
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Asmodians

This is Letmesinforyou (OP) here (just not using letmesinforyou anymore). I play on Siel Asmodian, I wouldn't mind getting a bit of help here in game. My in game name is Amrynthus.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Elyos

Unfortunately I don't have a SL-A toon, which sucks a lot because it's a lot easier to learn when someone can tell you exactly what you're doing wrong right then and there. I urge you if you can to record yourself then and I can give you feed back or videos of me doing it/mufflers video to help you as best I can.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh - Siel View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a SL-A toon, which sucks a lot because it's a lot easier to learn when someone can tell you exactly what you're doing wrong right then and there. I urge you if you can to record yourself then and I can give you feed back or videos of me doing it/mufflers video to help you as best I can.
Thanks! I will just record then, my computer is fairly fast and videos upload pretty fast too.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Elyos

Ill keep my eye on the thread

Felt like i should also add a video of what it should look like when you get ok at slideshotting https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KrQQJhWRI the flow is a lot better when you weave the mobile skills in between. Also if you know youre going to miss a slide shot just repop a buff for instance i used bf as the buff in this video

Last edited by goblin -; 06-28-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh - Siel View Post
Ill keep my eye on the thread

Felt like i should also add a video of what it should look like when you get ok at slideshotting https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KrQQJhWRI the flow is a lot better when you weave the mobile skills in between. Also if you know youre going to miss a slide shot just repop a buff for instance i used bf as the buff in this video
My ranger isnt 65 yet on siel, so I just played on illegitimate server.

So made three attempts at slideshotting, well 3 videos. I feel like i started to figure it out, cause it wont let you auto when you are running away, unless you jump in that direction, let go of w, press auto to turn your character then use the skill as you land then go back to moving, but the whole process feels very awkward and I can seem to do it properly. I can perfectly jump shot while kiting back, but throw in weaving its a little hard since you are moving the other way.

First attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGNgx4YOtI
Second attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_Iu4_dYh4
Third attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-_YhV_an4

Videos are still processing, so hopefully by the time you see this, it is already done.

What feels most awkward to me is the controls, so maybe that's where I should start. I want to be able to use skills from my keyboard, but thats hard when I am trying to kite because I like using wasd to move around. What would be easiest for me is if i had more buttons on my mouse lol, but thats not going to happen. I have 3 buttons on the side of my mouse, I am using one for auto attack, the other 2 I havent really figured out what to do with.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Elyos

Hi friend, so I think there are really two inconsistencies for you to work on. The main one being what avalyn said
Quote:
You can see the main slideshot keypress order is going to be Jump > Weave in air > stationary skill > W + Jump. In some situations where you have to start your slideshot from a stationary position, it is autoattack (Weave) > skill > W + Jump
Right now I think you're still stuck in the jumpshotting mentality of watching the knees bend and then doing the skills and what not. So its important for you to firstly get comfortable keybinds like you said, and to second break the mentality of jumpshotting. Essentially slideshotting is jumpshotting with a weave, so work on the weaving part. After that practice on the dummies where there is even ground and get the timing down.

Last edited by goblin -; 06-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Elyos

Its obligated to learn jump and slide shooting for Ranger????