Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Asmodians
Default Evasion or Parry

If you had to pick a piece of gear with Evasion (ie my belt) or parry (ie Naruots belt) what would you do?

I asked in our /4 and we figured parry screws you more in the long run.

btw Serious question
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Elyos
Default Re: Evasion or Parry

In all seriousness, excluding the other factors/stats/costs/level, I'd take the evasion.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Asmodians

Neither, I would look at the other stats in those belts and pick one (Like attack, HP, crit and/or block).

Reason: We have REALLY low evasion and really dodge as often as a wall does, so stacking it is pointless unless you stack really a lot of it (Like going for a leather, evasion build). And you said it about parry messes us up in the long run because of the way defenses work.

Good luck :)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Asmodians

Personally i stack Block, Crit ,and then Attack! Block b/c Temp has alot of moves that build off blocking and whether of not you see them as high dmging moves or not , they do a decent ammount of damage and help a rotation of skills that could be never ending.

Evasion and parry are soooo low on the skill chart that they really make no sense to build but build your templar to what you feel works and if it doesnt then mix it up till you find something.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Asmodians

I see PARRY across my screen more often then I see DODGE. So I actually look for more parry when other specs are the same (crit, attack etc).
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Elyos

Wish some of those equations were still around that you posted but Ö. IIRC, evasion/parry is a contested value to accuracy? So if I were to run across you in the abyss, my accuracy is 1182 vs your parry 1437 would that not give you a decent if not 50% chance to parry all incoming attacks from me? Looking at evasion 1182 vs 977 so that seem to be a wash unless you stacked evasion which does seem pointless, donít gear toward sub-geared players. Without a doubt my gear sux but to me parry does seems to have some value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenicia - Azphel View Post
Neither, I would look at the other stats in those belts and pick one (Like attack, HP, crit and/or block).

Reason: We have REALLY low evasion and really dodge as often as a wall does, so stacking it is pointless unless you stack really a lot of it (Like going for a leather, evasion build). And you said it about parry messes us up in the long run because of the way defenses work.

Good luck :)
Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Asmodians

All other things being equal, the choice becomes completely moot IMO. I would go for Parry just because that is more likely to appear on other class-appropriate gear than evade. But you aren't going to get either one high enough to work against an endgame geared opponent, unless you have a leather set maybe.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Asmodians

From what I see parry is a great stat for GS temps. You want to avoid every attack while dealing out damage and GS temps don't rely on procs.

I am a S&b guy all the way and always will be no matter how much it sucks sometimes lol. I see parry messing shield procs, due to avoids.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Asmodians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarlis - Zikel View Post
Wish some of those equations were still around that you posted but Ö. IIRC, evasion/parry is a contested value to accuracy? So if I were to run across you in the abyss, my accuracy is 1182 vs your parry 1437 would that not give you a decent if not 50% chance to parry all incoming attacks from me? Looking at evasion 1182 vs 977 so that seem to be a wash unless you stacked evasion which does seem pointless, donít gear toward sub-geared players. Without a doubt my gear sux but to me parry does seems to have some value?

Ok, I'll post the defense table again for you :)

Again, starting with defense, it's a 10:1 ratio to damage. Meaning attack damage -(Defense/10) = actual damage taken.

Attacker's accuracy checks are taken in certain order starting from evasion, then parry then block. Here's a break down:
1. Evasion check: (Evasion - Accuracy) / 10 = Eva%. Caps at 30% (300 evasion more than accuracy). Leaving 70% chance for the remaining checks at cap.
2. Parry check: (Parry - Accuracy) / 10 = Parry. Actual PRY% is whatever remained af the evasion check (70% at cap evasion) * Parry/100 and caps at 40% of what is left. Which is 400 above accuracy. To calculate the cap in this case: 70*40% = 28%. Leaving a 42% for the remaining checks at cap parry and evasion.
3. Block check: (Block - Accuracy) /10 = block. Actual SD% is whatever remained from the previous checks * block/100. Caps at 50% of the remaining ratio. (500 above accuracy). At cap evasion and parry you'll have 21% total block chance.

As you can see the higher evasion the less parry and block. And the higher the parry the less block. We don't have significant dodge without gearing in leather and dedicating our build to evasion. Parry is fine and all if you're a GS templar, but really bad if you're a shield templar as it blocks less damage than shields do, has a lower cap and does not trigger counters.

However, parry is more viable for a templar as we have relatively high parry and can actually parry some attacks (At least for me I parry as much as I block).

Ok, sorry for the 9000 crit with the wall of text but I hope it helps clear things up.

Best Regards
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Elyos

evasion is the best physical defence in the game.

period.

"yeah, well have fun making sandwhiches" - Azreial