Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Elyos
Default Aion Free to Play

I was watching a top ten list video of free to play games and they mentioned how D&D online use to be pay to play and was dying fast but the company took a gamble and made it free to play with a online store and the games player base sky rocketed and now they constantly come out with new content and it’s a flourishing game. Do you think Aion would benefit in and similar way if it went the free to play route?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Elyos
Default Re: Aion Free to Play

No

(10charsofdontwantFTPcrap)
2X HIS 4890 in Xfire
Corsair 750hx PSU
Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Asmodians

While I don't think Aion will ever go F2P in our near future (I'm talking more than several years) I think we would see allot of people return or new players come into Aion. However even if it goes free to play I doubt it will see any huge numbers simply because the game isn't everybody's cup of tea.

If it ever did go free to play though I would think they would add a boatload more cosmetic items go into the shop. Cosmetic stuff bleeds people out much faster simply because people would rather spend 10 dollars here and there and it be an option rather than pay 15 dollars a month and it be set.

Main: 60 Elyos Assassin (Israphel)
Alt: 60 Asmodian Spiritmaster (Tiamat)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Asmodians

Aion illegitimate servers are packed full of thousands of people, so yea people would play on retail servers if it was free.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Asmodians

If they make it free to play, they would have to add a cash shop which sold game breaking items and the like. So simple answer is: No. If you want extreme ez mode, go play a illegitimate server which is full of haxers, botters, and people that dont speak a word of english =D
Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Asmodians

No

/10char
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Asmodians

Idk I think it would work if it were made like how wow and guild wars does it and you have to pay for the update. I think it might make it a more popular game over here. I know a lot of my friends who play wow were deterred by the monthly cost. Either way I'm forking over about the same amount so anything that would make the game more lively would do. I have my fingers crossed atm that they will make l2 f2p with a cash shop for vit items so I will play that too and go back to my old $30 bucks a month to Ncsoft lol. :p
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Asmodians

I'm sick of f2p games since they always end up becoming one of those "whoever can shell out the most cash wins" games. so all the kiddies can go steal their parents credit card :<
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Elyos

No, simply because it becomes a "deeper pocket game" then actual skill.

F2P = Huge amounts of beggers,botters,spamers,hackers/cheaters & rmt's
(if you think its bad now then you would hate F2P)

P2P = $15 sub and if the above mentioned issues want to pay to beg,cheat,rmt then so be it. (but at least with a smaller number, banning them is easier)
Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Asmodians

Aion is not set up well to be a free-to-play game. It is open, persistent world game unlike GW or DDO. Those are basically city hubs where players mix and pick up groups, as well as showing off their fancy toys and dance moves.

DDO actually sells content. You pay to unlock new dungeons and "play areas", and until you do you cannot go there. If you do buy an item, it doesn't really matter much as it is a PvE game and only lets you go through the dungeons more rapidly.

In Aion you could really only sell items, and in an open world that would be exactly what the people above are saying - if you have more cash (or are more foolish with it) you will own anyone who does not.

The game was designed as pay by the hour. It translates reasonably well (though not perfectly) to a subscription game. I doubt F2P would work all that well.
Closed Thread