Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Elyos
Default what manastones to use for chanter?

So I was wondering what manastones should I use for my chanter for pve base and pvp? Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Elyos
Default Re: what manastones to use for chanter?

depends on what build your focusing on first.

Safe bet for pve and pretty decent in pvp is crit hp. there are plenty,

Some go crit parry or block hp, mr build etc

I use crit parry for pvp plan to add hp to one piece at least to try and even it out.

Retired Aussie Forum Pvper
Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Elyos

For pve, different builds can suit you, just like in pvp.
for example, in pve you could try:

- full MR
- full atk (+ some crit)
- mix of crit and MR

for pvp you could try:

- full parry (+ some crit)
- full MR (+ some crit)
- full atk (+ some crit)
- mix of crit, MR and parry
- mix of crit, HP and parry

(you can try to add a few ACC stones too if you lack of accuracy in pvp)

It really depends what gear you have, what stigmas you use and what you like. Dont socket MR or parry if your set or your weapon doesnt allow you to reach decent amount otherwise you wont parry/resist to anything anyway.

GL
Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Elyos

Whats a good amount of MR to go for as a chanter. Not to resist sorcs but like ankle snares from glads, sleep/silences from rangers etc etc things along those lines. Whats a good number to shoot for. And in what set.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Elyos

I'd say you need at least 1600+ MR because my 1500 is deftly not enough. 40 or 50 pvp set seems like the best choice =/
Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Elyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prenthys - Israphel View Post
For pve, different builds can suit you, just like in pvp.
for example, in pve you could try:

- full MR
- full atk (+ some crit)
- mix of crit and MR

for pvp you could try:

- full parry (+ some crit)
- full MR (+ some crit)
- full atk (+ some crit)
- mix of crit, MR and parry
- mix of crit, HP and parry

(you can try to add a few ACC stones too if you lack of accuracy in pvp)

It really depends what gear you have, what stigmas you use and what you like. Dont socket MR or parry if your set or your weapon doesnt allow you to reach decent amount otherwise you wont parry/resist to anything anyway.

GL
I've been leveling my Chanter (Davidicus) as of late and I've been trying to figure out which manastone route to take. So far I'm leaning towards a Crit/Atk/MR build for the later levels which may change as I learn how my Chanter works at around 50+.

I'm curious about the Parry builds that people are suggesting. I've looked through the forums, but I have yet to see a full explanation as to how stacking Parry is truly beneficial. The amount of damage mitigation seems negligible since Parry doesn't mitigate all that much in the first place. As for the skill procs they are all on a fairly long cd which makes Splash Swing only somewhat usable with it's 30 second cd. This is especially true with the guaranteed Parry skill that is being given to Chanters in 2.5 in the coming months.

Stacking Parry just to be able to use Splash Swing seems to be about as useless as a Templar stacking MB just to be able to put out more damage with Magic Smash (which is also a 30 second cd).

Can anyone go into more detail as to why Parry is truly considered to be a viable manastone set up?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed; And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!" -Destruction of Sennacherib
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Elyos

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING ... to answer questions asked.

Quote:
I'd say you need at least 1600+ MR because my 1500 is deftly not enough. 40 or 50 pvp set seems like the best choice =/
If you want to use MR and resist top geared players who arent Sorc/SM or cleric with MACC, you will need more than 1650 MR. 1700 would probably be a good number.

Although, at 1600+ you will still start to resist to a bunch of magical effects from most melee classes.

Quote:
Can anyone go into more detail as to why Parry is truly considered to be a viable manastone set up?

Well, there is 2 ways of seeing this.

- First, some people prefer HP to parry because it helps to survive to magical and physical attacks.
- On the hand, some people believe that it's almost pointless to win fights versus magic users like sorcs and sm, so they would prefer to defend themself better versus physical attacks.

By writting that, i bet a few players will post and say they add HP to survive longer to physical attacks, but people who pvp will know that as a chanter, we're better look at dmg mitigation instead of increasing max HP - because of our weak heals and lack of shields (depending if you use Protection Ward or not...)

So basically, you want to get parry to get close to hard cap, which is 40% (400 parry above their accuracy). In other words, for lvl 55, you might want to reach 2400-2500 (with all your buffs, mantras, etc.) since most geared players will be around 2100-2150. Non-geared will usually stay under 2000.

By doing that, you will have 40% chance to reduce their dmg by 30%. This should gives you 12% more HP - which should be close to 1k HP wise.

For example : If you add 4 stones with 25 parry (100 parry = 10%), you add like 3% HP (240-250HP). If you added 4 stones with 85 HP (same lvl of stone), you would have 340 more HP.

Thus, when choosing parry, you increase your survivability without increasing your HP (just like Abyss gear). Dmg mitigation instead of HP makes it easier to heal and helps you to not fail spells (since you receive smaller hits). We face here the same situation than Miragent vs Abyss gear lvl 40, but it doesnt affect spells...

IMHO, you shouldnt use parry stones if you go full support chanter (full IM line) and you never solo. You shouldnt use parry stones if you have a bad weapon and it would take you a lot of stones just to reach 2k mark. Keep in mind that you wont parry much hits if you have under 2k (in pvp!), so if your base is like 1800 (with buffs and such), you will spend a lot of stones for no improvement (from 1800 to 2000).

Quote:
Stacking Parry just to be able to use Splash Swing seems to be about as useless as a Templar stacking MB just to be able to put out more damage with Magic Smash (which is also a 30 second cd).
This is true, being able to use our attacks on-parry when we want is just a bonus effect.

Quote:
The amount of damage mitigation seems negligible since Parry doesn't mitigate all that much in the first place.
When you will meet glads and rangers hitting you for 2-3k each strike on crits, you will be happy to cut 30% of their damage. It makes a world of difference versus rangers since they attack by burst. If you can survive to their 3-4 first attacks and can heal up before their next wave it's GG. Hardest part is to survive them and to heal up FAST... and the way to heal up fast is to have lower HP but higher resistance to dmg (shield, parry, block, abyss gear, etc.).

Note : i'm not saying Parry is the way to win versus strong melee classes, but it definitly helps. i doubt that any chanter can survive to a skilled and top geared rangers or a glad with all his buffed on.

Hope this helped.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Elyos

Noob question but what's MR?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Elyos

MR = Magic Resist
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Elyos

I see, thanks